Old 17-01-2004, 03:37 PM
Rhiannon S

Default Garden birds

Hi all
I have a vague memory (No puns martin please) of there being some sort of
survey being carried out last year of the various birds people see in their
gardens. I was wondering if anyone knows who it was that ran it, and whether
or not it is still ongoing?

The reason for asking is that I've been out feeding the birds (not as regularly
as I should admittedly, but always when there is a frost on the ground) and
there has been quite a few vistors to the little patch of lawn in front of the
flats. Well once the magpies bugger off anyway, and I was wondering if that
survey thing (which I only half remember was still running.

Any help?

Thank in advance.
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Old 17-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Roger The Rabbit

I imagine you're thinking of http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch.
This is a wonderful idea as it actually gets people to properly watch the
birds they get in the garden. It's also quite a good indicator on the
decline of some species, such as house sparrows. However, the idea of a
fixed weekend to observe bird numbers is a strange one - weather, etc. can
change habits to significantly to be of much use.

The form isn't up yet, but it should be there any day - the survey is next
weekend. Don't think you have to be an RSPB member in order to use it.

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
[...]

A: depends on what you want it changed into!

Old 17-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Rhiannon S

Subject: Garden birds
From: martin
Date: 17/01/2004 15:49 GMT Standard Time

and...
http://www.bto.org/birdweb/survey-results.htm
--
Martin

Which was exactly what I was looking for*

Thanks Martin
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

Old 22-01-2004, 08:02 AM
ajr

"Rhiannon S" wrote in message
[...]

A: depends on what you want it changed into!

The Today Programme had mentioned it this morning - full details he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/re...20040122.shtml

Old 22-01-2004, 01:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , ajr
writes

--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/
Q: how many witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: depends on what you want it changed into!

The Today Programme had mentioned it this morning - full details he

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/re...20040122.shtml

If you want to do it for more than one weekend, there's also the BTO
birdwatch, which allows you to enter birds (and also other visitors like
frogs, butterflies, squirrels) on a weekly basis, as many weeks as you
like in a year. But IIRC there's a charge to join. You get quite a lot
of information back, and I think you get a newsletter.

www.bto.org

then follow the obvious links.

--
Kay Easton