GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lakes or ponds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50752-lakes-ponds.html)

Sacha 22-01-2004 11:19 PM

Lakes or ponds?

Nick Maclaren22/1/04 7:15

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

I suspect the 'eye of the beholder' might have some bearing.

As in: I have a lake, you have a pond, he has a paddling pool?

You forgot dewpond........which belongs to the plume de ma tante.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-01-2004 12:16 AM

Lakes or ponds?

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

True, so I still think the definition of a lake is to do with size.

So where does a lakelet fit in? Something which is a bit too ponderous?

Are tarns too tarnished?

They are a mere geographical anomaly.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-01-2004 12:19 AM

Lakes or ponds?

The message
from "Bevan Price" contains
these words:

No dimensions included for any of these definitions.

They omitted 'pit' - East-Anglian term for a pond: originating (I'd
guess) from the pit clay was mined from to mix with cowdung and chopped
straw to make clay-lump building blocks.

Any pond and some lakes in large swathes of east Anglia are called pits.

Gary Woods 23-01-2004 05:02 AM

Lakes or ponds?

"Bevan Price" wrote:

Pond = A small body of still water of artificial formation

Drat! I'd almost convinced myself that my 2/3 acre bullldozer-induced body
of water with dock and paddleboat qualified as a lake, albeit a small one.
Currently covered with a thick layer of ice, winter being very assertive
this year in the Northeast American colonies...

Jaques d'Alltrades 23-01-2004 01:04 PM

Lakes or ponds?

The message
from Gary Woods contains these words:
"Bevan Price" wrote:

Pond = A small body of still water of artificial formation

Drat! I'd almost convinced myself that my 2/3 acre bullldozer-induced body
of water with dock and paddleboat qualified as a lake, albeit a small one.
Currently covered with a thick layer of ice, winter being very assertive
this year in the Northeast American colonies...

Don't give up! I have a sort of feeling that the Lake of Menteith is 'of
artificial formation', BICBW.

Janet Baraclough .. 23-01-2004 06:43 PM

Lakes or ponds?

"Bevan Price" wrote:

Pond = A small body of still water of artificial formation

Drat! I'd almost convinced myself that my 2/3 acre bullldozer-induced body
of water with dock and paddleboat qualified as a lake, albeit a small one.

Lucky you ! Is your loch a recent construction, and can you go fishing
from your boat/dock?

Currently covered with a thick layer of ice, winter being very assertive
this year in the Northeast American colonies...

Just right for skating and curling

Janet

John Rouse 23-01-2004 08:25 PM

Lakes or ponds?

In article , Sacha
writes
Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

Pond: small body of still water esp as made for watering cattle or other
purposes.

Lake: large body of water surrounded by land

So, it would appear size is everything!

John
--
John Rouse

martin 23-01-2004 08:33 PM

Lakes or ponds?

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:16:11 +0000, John Rouse
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

Pond: small body of still water esp as made for watering cattle or other
purposes.

for ducks shirley?

--
Martin

Sacha 23-01-2004 09:34 PM

Lakes or ponds?

John Rouse23/1/04 7:16

In article , Sacha
writes
Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

Pond: small body of still water esp as made for watering cattle or other
purposes.

Lake: large body of water surrounded by land

So, it would appear size is everything!

John

Okaaaaaay. So if we create a 1 acre (or thereabouts) body of water which
will be used partly as ornament and partly to water the nursery, what shall
we call that? ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Sacha 23-01-2004 09:35 PM

Lakes or ponds?

Sacha23/1/04 9:24

John Rouse23/1/04 7:16

In article , Sacha
writes
Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

Pond: small body of still water esp as made for watering cattle or other
purposes.

Lake: large body of water surrounded by land

So, it would appear size is everything!

John

Okaaaaaay. So if we create a 1 acre (or thereabouts) body of water which
will be used partly as ornament and partly to water the nursery, what shall
we call that? ;-)

Whoops - sorry. Delusions of grandeur - half an acre.
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Nick Maclaren 23-01-2004 10:02 PM

Lakes or ponds?

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
John Rouse23/1/04 7:16
@timew arp.demon.co.uk

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

Pond: small body of still water esp as made for watering cattle or other
purposes.

Lake: large body of water surrounded by land

So, it would appear size is everything!

Okaaaaaay. So if we create a 1 acre (or thereabouts) body of water which
will be used partly as ornament and partly to water the nursery, what shall
we call that? ;-)

A reservoir :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.