Old 21-01-2004, 06:35 PM
Sacha

Default Lakes or ponds?

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 21-01-2004, 10:33 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:24:41 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

I always thought it was a lake if you could put a (full sized) boat on
it.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.stonybrook-ludlow.co.uk
Old 21-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Bob Hobden

"Sacha" wrote in message
Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw

an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?
--

Then there's the question of, when is a pond only a puddle. :-)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
364 data units completed.

Old 22-01-2004, 03:19 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

A lake is generally fed by a stream.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 22-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sally Thompson
writes
wrote:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

I always thought it was a lake if you could put a (full sized) boat on
it.

But what is a full sized boat? A dinghy? The QE2?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 22-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone, I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

A lake is generally fed by a stream.

But so are many ponds
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 22-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:27:14 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

I still think the definition of a lake is to do with size.

http://www.babineefmpp.com/glossary/L.html

(A Canadian site) says

Lake: a naturally occurring static body of water greater than 2 m in
depth and greater than 1 ha in size, or a licensed reservoir.

A US EPA (Environment Protection Agency) site also uses a 1 hectare
definition for some purposes. Dictionary entries say a lake is larger
than a pond (and a pond is smaller than a lake). OTOH, people who've
named "lakes" and "ponds" probably didn't measure.

This post is from across the Pond. :-)

Old 22-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Sacha

Frogleg22/1/04 11:11

wrote:

I still think the definition of a lake is to do with size.

http://www.babineefmpp.com/glossary/L.html

(A Canadian site) says

Lake: a naturally occurring static body of water greater than 2 m in
depth and greater than 1 ha in size, or a licensed reservoir.

A US EPA (Environment Protection Agency) site also uses a 1 hectare
definition for some purposes. Dictionary entries say a lake is larger
than a pond (and a pond is smaller than a lake). OTOH, people who've
named "lakes" and "ponds" probably didn't measure.

This post is from across the Pond. :-)

Thank you. Perhaps we should re-name it The Lake. But at least we now know
that size *does* matter. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Old 22-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Frivolous question but - I was told once that the definition of a
lake was
that it covered an acre of land. In discussing this with someone,
I saw an
internet definition giving 0.25 of a hectare as a lake. Anyone got any
other ideas/sources/definitions?

A lake is generally fed by a stream.

But so are many ponds

Small lakes?

Old 22-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Martin Sykes

"Sacha" wrote in message
.. .
snip Thank you. Perhaps we should re-name it The Lake. But at least we
now know
that size *does* matter. ;-)

According to the guiness world records web site -
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/index.asp

'The Caspian Sea' is a lake - the world's largest at 371800 sq km
'Don Juan Pond' is a lake - the saltiest lake in the world, remaining liquid
at -53 Celcius
'The Aral Sea' is a lake - has shrunk most - 80% since 1980

So, that's two seas and one pond which are 'officially' lakes. I guess you
can call it whatever you want.

I also found a reference elsewhere to Shenyang in China having the world's
smallest lake which might have helped but it didn't mention the size :-(

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )