GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lifting our forum@ (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/50917-lifting-our-forum%40.html)

Janet Tweedy 24-01-2004 12:03 AM

Lifting our forum@

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Janet Tweedy 24-01-2004 12:13 AM

Lifting our forum@

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet

Tumbleweed 24-01-2004 12:34 AM

Lifting our forum@

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

That is bizzarre!

BTW, next time try www.tinyurl.com to get a ...tiny url so you dont have
wrapping problems.

as in http://tinyurl.com/2up7o

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

JennyC 24-01-2004 07:02 AM

Lifting our forum@

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

Jenny

Chris French and Helen Johnson 24-01-2004 09:12 AM

Lifting our forum@

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say
html at the end.

If you delimit the link by enclosing the url in angled brackets then
those of us with Turnpike and other well behaved and standards complaint
newsreaders will find that links should not break on line wrapping and
they will find it easier to extract the url.

Like this:

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...eties_192835.h
tml

Of course there is a certain well known newsreader which probably
doesn't utilize this facility, but TBH, whose problem is that?
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

Chris French and Helen Johnson 24-01-2004 09:12 AM

Lifting our forum@

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

The site isn't very well designed but they do have what seems to be a
place to request that messages from a specific email address are not
displayed.

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

I'm not surprised.

There are number of website around that give a web based interface onto
Usenet. (You've probably seen post coming from the 'Garden Banter'
website) This site does say that these are usenet groups on it 's home
page, but it would be better if they gave the name of the groups on the
page as well.

Chris French and Helen Johnson 24-01-2004 09:12 AM

Lifting our forum@

In message , JennyC
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

quite.

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

I doubt it, there seems to be no way to post from this site.

David Rance 24-01-2004 10:13 AM

Lifting our forum@

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of late

I don't think that one can actually post on that site. They are just
displaying our messages.

Perhaps it's a tribute to us as we have the most civilised discussion
group on gardening. :-)

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Jaques d'Alltrades 24-01-2004 11:13 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Well, yes - Archive yes/no, which I believe Google honours, but some
other archivers ignore.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 24-01-2004 12:34 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

--
Martin

Sacha 24-01-2004 02:13 PM

Lifting our forum@

David Rance24/1/04 9:59

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Ummmmmmm !
I don't really mind too much as URG is a public forum anyway.

BUT they might at least say it's URG !

It does however explain why we have been getting some 'strange postings of
late

I don't think that one can actually post on that site. They are just
displaying our messages.

Perhaps it's a tribute to us as we have the most civilised discussion
group on gardening. :-)

I only took a brief glance at that forum to see what was going on after
Janet emailed me. I'd like to know why they're doing this and if they get
any financial gain from it. Some of the people who post here are
professional and might object to their freely given advice to *URG* being
used to benefit others.
If it's merely distributing free advice to people in other countries, I
don't see a problem but I do think it's a cheek! Of course, the danger is
that some of the advice will be very inappropriate for those who read it in
another country and then that forum might have a problem on its hands from
irate and failed gardeners!
--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Sacha 24-01-2004 02:32 PM

Lifting our forum@

Janet Tweedy24/1/04 12:08

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

I can't get the address all on one line but it IS there! Should say html
at the end. Think i searched for "Rosemary Campbell-Preston" and
"speaker" to get it.

janet

This is from the Home page of that forum

gardening-forum.com
Promoting gardening discussion.

Welcome to gardening-forum.com
In an effort to promote discussion and help people find information,
gardening-forum.com provides a web based news feed to Usenet newsgroups.
Visitors who may not know about Usenet will be able to still find
information, ask questions, and participate with newsgroup regulars.

Categories:
General
- General discussion about gardening.
Edible
- Edible plants and gardens.
Bamboo
- All about growing bamboo.
Orchids
- For the orchid gardeners.
Roses
- Anything to make those roses beautiful.
UK Forum
- Section for the English.

© 2004 gardening-forum.com
terms | automatic removal | webmaster | help

The rose page - for example - has the following ads on it, which suggest to
me that this not some altruistic website:

The cheapest place I know of to get Better Homes & Gardens Magazine. This
place is cheap!
They even have 1 year of Glamour and Maxim at $7.99, Wired at $6.99, and
Newsweek subscriptions at an AMAZING $14.99! Wow! Unbelievable!

--

Sacha
(remove the 'x' to email me)

Kay Easton 24-01-2004 03:33 PM

Lifting our forum@

In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 24-01-2004 05:13 PM

Lifting our forum@

Kay Easton24/1/04 3:26

In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

There is another section where you ask for your name to be removed and then
confirm that by answering an email. IF that works, I'll let you know.
Maybe I'll simply get even more spam than I'm getting now. ;-(
I will be interested to see if these messages get there.......

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

JennyC 24-01-2004 06:05 PM

Lifting our forum@

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Jenny

Rod 24-01-2004 06:33 PM

Lifting our forum@

Kay Easton wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html

Rod 24-01-2004 06:34 PM

Lifting our forum@

Sacha wrote:

Some of the people who post here are
professional and might object to their freely given advice to *URG* being
used to benefit others.

And I was going to assemble my collected thoughts into a chunky volume to
finance my pension.........duh.
Ah well best laid plans.....................

Nick Maclaren 24-01-2004 06:35 PM

Lifting our forum@

In article ,
Rod wrote:
Kay Easton wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

Or, if you have nothing better to do and/or are feeling malicious,
explain to them exactly how the meaning of the term "United Kingdom"
varies with context and how the historical, legal, political (de jure)
and political (de facto) boundaries differ. And why the UK (in the
largest sense) is a much looser federation than the USA.

And see if they believe you :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

martin 24-01-2004 10:13 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:56:43 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.
Hovermowing snowdrops stops the flowers sapping the strength of the
bulbs
Always soak your hyacinth bulbs in a mix of organic honey and Heineken
for 6 weeks before planting.
--
Martin

martin 24-01-2004 10:24 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 18:56:43 +0100, "JennyC" wrote:

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!

Frogleg 24-01-2004 10:26 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:48:17 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

I mean to say, did you all know that your names were flying around the
US gardening sites....

the address for one thread about speakers is

http://www.gardening-forum.com/uk/Sp...ties_192835.ht
ml

Dumb. But probably not a violation of copyright. All is avaiilable on
Google groups and elsewhere. Rather nasty to try and make hay out of
another's field, but you can't cure stupid. As a USAsian, I'd like to
note that this sort of thing *isn't* a strictly "American" abuse.

Janet Baraclough .. 25-01-2004 01:33 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Of course, the danger is
that some of the advice will be very inappropriate for those who read it in
another country and then that forum might have a problem on its hands from
irate and failed gardeners!

Whoever owns it is unlikely to care about that. It's a bit like
rubbish TV. The target audience is ignorant and undemanding; viewer
numbers are all important, the quality of the content or its
presentation are not. Website audiences of urg are being sold short, but
they don't know any better, poor mugs.

From what you've said, at least the American website explains
urg/usenet in a limited way. Gardenbanter very slyly avoids even that,
presumably because the webmaster hopes its members believe this
discussion group is part of his website.

Janet

Chris French and Helen Johnson 25-01-2004 01:34 AM

Lifting our forum@

In message , martin
writes
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

Oh sure, I realise that, but that isn't the same as asking permission is
it.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 03:03 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your
daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Don't forget to plant your seeds the right way up, 'cos you don't want
the roots growing out of the surface and the cotyledon(s) making for the
antibodes.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 03:07 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from Rod contains these words:

- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^

!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

Sgt. Henderson, about 6' 3" of powerfully built Scot came into the bar
to 'just remind us' that it was time.

Said guest (of the female persuasion) hung her arms round poor
Henderson's neck and said: "Aw gee! I do just *ADORE* you DARLING
ENGLISH bobbies!"

Exit Henderson, scarlet to the roots of his hair. Whenever the poor
fellow looked in after that there was a murmur of: "I do just
*ADORE*........"

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 03:10 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message

Waste of breath - try explaining what Wales is to the average merkin ;~(
(Our resident colonials sre honourable exceptions of course.)

Or, if you have nothing better to do and/or are feeling malicious,
explain to them exactly how the meaning of the term "United Kingdom"
varies with context and how the historical, legal, political (de jure)
and political (de facto) boundaries differ. And why the UK (in the
largest sense) is a much looser federation than the USA.

And see if they believe you :-)

You, Nick, have an evil mind. I like it.

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 03:17 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from martin contains these words:

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.

I thought that was those big bulbs - er - Achtung minen?

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 03:18 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum

^^^
- Section for the English.

^^^^^^^
!!

Janet Baraclough .. 25-01-2004 03:37 AM

Lifting our forum@

The message
from Frogleg contains these words:

wrote:

Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?(snip)

Dumb. But probably not a violation of copyright. All is avaiilable on
Google groups and elsewhere.

That's the point, much of what appears here isn't available on google
groups. Many of us choose *not* to have our posts archived, and they are
all marked x-no-archive in the header.

Rather nasty to try and make hay out of
another's field, but you can't cure stupid. As a USAsian, I'd like to
note that this sort of thing *isn't* a strictly "American" abuse.

Agreed, but when advice intended for UK conditions is stolen by an
American website where it won't be appropriate, it's even dumber than
when cheapskate UK websites do it.

Janet

David Rance 25-01-2004 10:13 AM

Lifting our forum@

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004, JennyC wrote:

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Make sure you clean your vegetable area in spring by giving it a good
dose of Sodium Chlorate just before you plant the seeds......

Frogleg 25-01-2004 11:42 AM

Lifting our forum@

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:17:12 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

martin 25-01-2004 12:02 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:57:40 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , martin
writes
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 08:46:35 +0000, Chris French and Helen Johnson
wrote:

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Searching for something about a speaker I can across a forum type web
site which purports to be American and yet has OUR messages on it! Does
anyone know anymore about this?
Sacha has emailed the webmaster to ask if he /she has permission :)

Permission for what? this is Unsenet, once you have posted a message
I'm not sure you can really expect to control what happens to it. Has
Goggle asked your permission to archive your messages ?

Google respects X-No Archive in headers. This site doesn't.

Oh sure, I realise that, but that isn't the same as asking permission is
it.

No it's not. I am on your side on this.
--
Martin

martin 25-01-2004 12:04 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:11:36 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
UK Forum
^^^
- Section for the English.
^^^^^^^
!!
That should annoy a lot of people!
Do you think we should tell them?
Kay Easton

We could of course start to post 'special' messages for the 'Forum' full of
good advice, like plant your bedding plants now.......dig up your
daffs to make
sure they are growing Ok............."~

Don't forget to plant your seeds the right way up, 'cos you don't want
the roots growing out of the surface and the cotyledon(s) making for the
antibodes.

How very profound and how few people are aware of this.
--
Martin

martin 25-01-2004 12:05 PM

Lifting our forum@

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 01:19:42 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

A few useful tips from the Dutch Bollenstreek :
Stamping crocus flowers into the ground improves the flavour of the
bulbs the following year.

I thought that was those big bulbs - er - Achtung minen?

as in watch your step, I've just goosed a tulip?
--
Martin

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-01-2004 01:33 PM

Lifting our forum@

wrote:

Unforgets me of the summer of 1963 when i was a barman in a Perthshire
hotel. We had this USian guest who was, er, rather expert at sinking the
spiritual stuff.

snip the story

We're not *all* hopeless, you know. Nor are all of you. :-) When I
was in London (glorious!) some people sought to 'compliment' me by
remarking "you don't *sound* American." I had no clue what they meant.
That I didn't sound Texan or Georgian or Bostonian or as if I were
from da Bronx? How can people from a an area half the size of
California with more regional accents than France has cheeses believe
there's such a thing as an 'American' mode of speech?

I wasn't suggesting you were all hopeless. We rather enjoyed the company
of our guest. At the same time though, there was the a fellow at the
other end of the scale.

Typical cartoon of everyone's idea of a Texan - everything was bigger
and better there. There wasn't any malice in him, he was just a rancher
(yes, really a rancher) who was superproud. Nothing wrong with that, but
he had a habit of putting his foot in it with an ill-turned phrase.

Sitting in the cocktail bar he was chatting with Peter Sharpe, a local
farmer. He was telling Peter how he had flown over in his own plane (and
he had). Peter was a man of few words, and just listened. He had just
come in for an afternoon drink, having been working on the farm all
morning, and was dressed accordingly.

When he got up to go, our Texan said: "I sure like talking to you local
yokels." This amused Peter - he could have bought our guest out several
times over.

He would charter an air freighter and fill it with his pedigree horses
and fly them out to the US. You remember ('sixties or 'seventies) that
horrendously expensive bull which wouldn't? That was one of his.

He used to round up sheep driving a new Mercedes - and the village
blacksmith kept a stock of new sumps in....

Unfortunately it's those examples which spring to mind: you meet the
average USian and they're remarkable for being unremarkable.

Just remembered a Mayor of Chicago who was over in Scotland and entered
Tossing the Caber in the Auchterarder Highland Games.

It was a typical cool summer's day and he appeared with a kilt over
tracksuit bottoms and was - er - discouraged.

He was (to my young eyes) elderly, rather overweight and not too good at
the event, but he persevered until he tossed the caber properly, and got
a round of tumultuous applause - genuine, generous applause for his
determination to succeed, and in no way derisive.