Old 25-01-2004, 11:33 PM
Joe B.

Default Import live plants from USA?

Can anyone tell me- is it possible to import plants from the USA (or other
non EEC country)?

I'd like to order some begonias that I can't find on sale anywhere in the UK
and I wonder if legally I can do this, or if there are restrictions that ,ake
this impossible.

TIA for any info.

--
Joe B. (remove composer for email)

Old 25-01-2004, 11:43 PM
Sacha

Joe B.25/1/04 11:27

Can anyone tell me- is it possible to import plants from the USA (or other
non EEC country)?

I'd like to order some begonias that I can't find on sale anywhere in the UK
and I wonder if legally I can do this, or if there are restrictions that ,ake
this impossible.

TIA for any info.

From the DEFRA site:
"Imports and Exports

Imports

Exports

Forms

To guard against the spread of harmful pests and diseases, the EC Plant
Health Directive sets out controls on the import, movement and keeping of
plants, plant pests and other plant material. This EC legislation is
implemented by the Plant Health (Great Britain) Order 1993 (as amended).

Some plants and plant produce are prohibited from entering this country.
Others are restricted and must be accompanied by a phytosanitary ("plant
health") certificate, which is issued by the Plant Health Authority in the
exporting country. This certificate is essentially a statement that the
plants, or plant produce, to which it relates have been officially inspected
in the country of origin (or country of despatch), comply with statutory
requirements for entry into the EC, are free from quarantine pests and
diseases, and are substantially free from other organisms. Plant and plant
material imported from non-EC countries under Phytosanitary Certificates are
inspected by the Plant Health and Seeds Inspectorate on, or shortly after,
arrival in this country, in order to confirm that they satisfy our plant
health requirements. No charge is made for these inspections.

Exports to non EC countries of plants, plant products, seeds, soil or
agricultural machinery must satisfy the plant health requirements of the
importing country. Defra's Plant Health Division and the Plant Health and
Seeds Inspectorate provide a range of services to help you to export to
countries outside the EC.

For information relating to the movement of plants and plant material
between EC countries please refer to the Plant Passports page of our
website.

There are also restrictions and prohibitions on imports of many plant
species which are endangered. Further information is available from the
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs in Bristol (Tel: 44
(0)117 372 8168 Fax: 44 (0)117 372 8206 E-mail:
), or the UK CITES website."

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/impexp.htm

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Martin Brown

In message m, Joe B.
writes
Can anyone tell me- is it possible to import plants from the USA (or other
non EEC country)?

I'd like to order some begonias that I can't find on sale anywhere in the UK
and I wonder if legally I can do this, or if there are restrictions that ,ake
this impossible.

It is possible, but it can be prohibitively expensive to do it privately
for small numbers of plants. You will need phytosanitary certificates
from the grower and paperwork from DEFRA for customs & excise.

Basically they have to be pretty special plants before it is worthwhile.
And if they are too rare you run into CITES restrictions and still more
expense.

Beware that some of the admin costs scale with number of species
imported (so a mixed bunch of one off plants can get *very* expensive).

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 26-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
In message m, Joe B.
writes
[...]

I have never done it, but I know someone who did last year, 12 bare root
clematis cuttings, total weight under .5kg cost £12 for the plants and £360
for shipping costs!!! nothing is that special :~)
(but at least all the plants survived - and I got given one :~)))

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 28-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

Joe B. writes

Can anyone tell me- is it possible to import plants from the USA (or other
non EEC country)?

I'd like to order some begonias that I can't find on sale anywhere in the UK
and I wonder if legally I can do this, or if there are restrictions that ,ake
this impossible.

Given the posts of others (and similar on this side of the Pond), it's
likely to be expensive and tedious. Might it be possible to find a
nursery/garden center that already imported plants, and make a special
request?