Old 28-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Frogleg

Default Neighbour's tree encroaching

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:01:06 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

.... around 8 years ago I put down a play area (bark over fabric) on
what had been a well cultivated vegetable garden.

Kids are older, this winter's project is to convert the area to lawns &
fruit on the fence.

Dug the area last week - immedately under the textile was a mass of ash
roots from a tree afound 15/20m away. A little deeper (through soil that had
been veg plot) were ash roots up to an inch thick.

The seedlings are real buggers. look away for a minute and they are 3 feet
tall among the herbaceous plants and shrubs. Cut then off instead of
grubbing out and they take it as a chllenge worth responding to and grow
back with trebled vigour.

Oh, you must be talking about black walnut (for roots and hardy
saplings) or elm (for a million seedlings). :-)

Old 29-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:01:06 +0000 (UTC), PK wrote:

[Ash] seedlings are real buggers. look away for a minute and they are 3 feet
tall among the herbaceous plants and shrubs. Cut then off instead of
grubbing out and they take it as a chllenge worth responding to and grow
back with trebled vigour.

Here in the colonies, the thug with this trick is the Himalayan
blackberry, widely naturalised up and down the Pacific slope.
What it may lack in ultimate size it makes up in thorniness and
the ability of any scrap of root left in the ground to form a new
plant. There's one that I've been trying to remove for ten or
fifteen years without success.

And in my own garden in particular, hazelnuts sown by the
(introduced) gray squirrels are almost as bad, though their
ultimate size is much lesser.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 30-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:36:02 GMT, Janet Baraclough ..
wrote:

Frogleg wrote

The history of tree disputes could surely make a good doctoral thesis.
One wonders why anyone has them at all. :-)

Historically trees were markers of land ownership, social and economic
power and religious belief....see Oliver Rackham's books for relevant
research.

But wasn't this in the day when property boundries were measured in
rods and paces, not feet and inches? "From the big oak to the rock
shaped like a seal"? Now, long threads of property/tree disputes
indicate that if *my* tree's trunk grows fat enough to bulge *your*
fence, we have a laswuit on our hands. :-) My neighbor is pretty
peeved that roots of a tree on *my* property which fell in a storm
lifted up a section of *his* back garden. I don't suppose he'd be as
concerned if we both had 20 acres or so, and the trees were Way Out
There.

Old 30-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote in message

The history of tree disputes could surely make a good doctoral thesis.
One wonders why anyone has them at all. :-) One person's shady oak is
another's source of nuisance leaves and acorns.

The one with the biggest nuisance value is surely the ash. The one just

on
the other side of my boundary maliciously sheds its seeds slowly and
continuously all through the winter. Each summer I have to deal with
hundreds of ash seedlings.

And the worst part is that it is doing so specifically to annoy
*you*. No other ash tree does this kind of thing, only the one
that's been designated your personal tormentor. It is a truly
evil tree, spending hours, days, weeks thinking, where can I drop
my leaves and seeds to most annoy Franz?

Can I interest you in an aluminum foil hat to stop the
brain-control waves sent out by Whitehall and Brussels?
[is joke]

There is no place on the tree which is suitable for putting the hat.

{:-))

Franz

Franz

Old 30-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Franz Heymann

"PK" wrote in message

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 21:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

The one with the biggest nuisance value is surely the ash. The one
just on the other side of my boundary maliciously sheds its seeds
slowly and continuously all through the winter. Each summer I have
to deal with hundreds of ash seedlings.

Tell me about it!

Also.... around 8 years ago I put down a play area (bark over fabric) on
what had been a well cultivated vegetable garden.

Kids are older, this winter's project is to convert the area to lawns &
fruit on the fence.

Dug the area last week - immedately under the textile was a mass of ash
roots from a tree afound 15/20m away. A little deeper (through soil that

had
been veg plot) were ash roots up to an inch thick.

The seedlings are real buggers. look away for a minute and they are 3 feet
tall among the herbaceous plants and shrubs. Cut then off instead of
grubbing out and they take it as a chllenge worth responding to and grow
back with trebled vigour.

And double-stemmed

Franz

Old 31-01-2004, 03:52 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:24:24 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message

Can I interest you in an aluminum foil hat to stop the
brain-control waves sent out by Whitehall and Brussels?
[is joke]

There is no place on the tree which is suitable for putting the hat.

I am bested. Congratulations. That is a very funny reply.

Old 31-01-2004, 11:16 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 21:24:24 +0000 (UTC), Franz Heymann wrote:

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message

Can I interest you in an aluminum foil hat to stop the
brain-control waves sent out by Whitehall and Brussels?
[is joke]

There is no place on the tree which is suitable for putting the hat.

I am bested. Congratulations. That is a very funny reply.

Thanks, Roger, I aim to please. {:-))

Franz

Old 01-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Thanks, Roger, I aim to please. {:-))

The compost heap is over there --------

--
Rusty