Old 30-01-2004, 04:36 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default Spring is sprunging?

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In article , Michael Savage
writes

We've got one Rhododendron in flower since about 15th...did it last year
too.

I was over at Ness a little way back. There's 3 types of Rhododendron in
flower there - 'Rosa Mundi', nobleanum venustum and mucronulatum.

Also Abutilon megapotamicum and what they've labelled as Abutilon
'Kentish Belle'.

Ness, Isle of Lewis?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 30-01-2004, 09:33 AM
David W.E. Roberts

"Sacha" wrote in message
Primroses are out in their usual early site near Staverton Bridge on our

way
to Totnes and today I picked some fully flowering mimosa. That, combined
with Sarcococca, is making this house smell like the Elysian Fields. ;-)
PS We've had about 24 snowflakes.

Our Mallow down in the SW corner of the garden is still in flower; it never
seems to have stopped.
I though they were supposed to go dormant, be cut back, then grow like mad
again.
In fact t'other one, which had to be hacked back part way through last year
because it grew too fast and fell over, is also still in flower.
Are these supposed to flower continuously, or is global warming (ignoring
the last couple of days) confusing them?

Cheers
Dave R

Old 30-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
Ness, Isle of Lewis?

Ness (Botanic Gardens), The Wirral
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 30-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , David W.E.
Roberts writes

Our Mallow down in the SW corner of the garden is still in flower; it never
seems to have stopped.
I though they were supposed to go dormant, be cut back, then grow like mad
again.
In fact t'other one, which had to be hacked back part way through last year
because it grew too fast and fell over, is also still in flower.
Are these supposed to flower continuously, or is global warming (ignoring
the last couple of days) confusing them?

Mature Lavatera x clementii (can) flower until the frost stops them.
(Younger plants don't have the additional inflorescences to take over
when the first batch have fizzled out.) I saw one flowering at the best
part of 1000 feet up well into December.

I haven't noticed that it's any particular variety which is long
flowering, tho' I'd guess that 'Candy Floss' isn't.

Lavatera thuringiaca do stop flowering in the autumn, and die back.

Perhaps we need observations from someone living in warmer climes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.meden.demon.co.uk/Malvace.../Lavatera.html
Old 30-01-2004, 09:37 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 30-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 31-01-2004, 04:05 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Stewart Robert Hinsley contains these words:
In article , Jaques d'Alltrades
writes
Ness, Isle of Lewis?

Ness (Botanic Gardens), The Wirral