Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 PM
NWalch

Default Fixing Liner to Sleepers

I've created raise beds using railway sleepers and want to fix pond
liner round the sides before I back fill with soil. Can anyone suggest
the best way to fix the liner so that the top is sealed to prevent
soil getting down the top.

Thanks

Nick
Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
ned

NWalch wrote:
I've created raise beds using railway sleepers and want to fix pond
liner round the sides before I back fill with soil. Can anyone

suggest
the best way to fix the liner so that the top is sealed to prevent
soil getting down the top.

.... 'Not sure what the purpose of the pond liner is.

Is it to protect the sleepers?
We have a railway sleeper bridge over a roadside ditch that was
constructed at least thirty years ago. It was covered with a foot of
soil and is grassed over. Tractors drive over it. I think the sleepers
will survive on their own without the liner.

Is it to protect your delicate plants from the nasty wood
preservative?
Once the sleeper has 'weathered' or aged, so that the preservative is
not freshly active, you will have no problems. Ivy and other climbers
happily climb up treated telegraph poles. True, plant roots close to
the sleeper may be persuaded to grow away from it, but the
preservative will not leach out into the soil.

--
ned

Old 01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Bob Hobden

"Nick wrote in message
I've created raise beds using railway sleepers and want to fix pond
liner round the sides before I back fill with soil. Can anyone suggest
the best way to fix the liner so that the top is sealed to prevent
soil getting down the top.

Put the liner in before you put the top layer of sleepers on and then staple
it to the top of the last sleeper you laid and put the final sleeper over
the top of that. Just like the way you do pond edging if using bricks etc.
Difficult to explain but I hope you understand.
OR Staple the liner to the back of the top sleeper and then nail a piece of
thin wood over the top of the edge.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

Old 02-02-2004, 10:03 AM
Martin Sykes

"ned" wrote in message
... 'Not sure what the purpose of the pond liner is.

I don't think it's necessary but I've seen a garden-makover program where
they recommended this to stop the soil being washed through the gaps between
the sleepers. as it was more than one sleeper high.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 02-02-2004, 11:18 PM
ned

Martin Sykes wrote:
"ned" wrote in message
... 'Not sure what the purpose of the pond liner is.

I don't think it's necessary but I've seen a garden-makover program
where they recommended this to stop the soil being washed through

the
gaps between the sleepers. as it was more than one sleeper high.

Ah, then all that is needed is some of that porous membrane used for
suppressing weeds. 'Must be cheaper than pond liner.

--
ned

Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
NWalch

It's to protect the sleepers from rot (if needed) and to stop soil
getting through the gaps (they are cut and laid vertically so theres
gaps where the sleepers are not square).

Nick

Old 02-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Bob Hobden

Nick wrote in message
It's to protect the sleepers from rot (if needed) and to stop soil
getting through the gaps (they are cut and laid vertically so theres
gaps where the sleepers are not square).

Ah, they are to be laid vertically, that's different. Staple it to the
sleepers temporarily and then nail/screw on a piece of wood all along the
edge to keep it in place and stop any chance of dirt getting behind it. I've
just used staples behind some log roll I've used and once the soil is in
even if the staples rust away the plastic does not go anywhere.
Another poster did mention that sleepers are very long lived anyway and
would them being covered on one side by plastic sheeting help things? (other
than keeping the dirt in place.)

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
371 data units completed.

Old 10-02-2004, 08:49 AM
D Russell

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Nick wrote in message
[...]

I guess if they are 2nd hand, i.e. used and treated, sleepers it might
provide a little protection against the nasty stuff that can leech out into
the soil.
Duncan