GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/51502-gardening-club-activity-ideas-needed.html)

Jane Ransom 01-02-2004 11:18 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Sacha 01-02-2004 11:18 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

Jane Ransom1/2/04 5:06

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

How to make a worter feecha. Hanging baskets, propagation of plants. How
to make a garden private, user friendly and low maintenance (and then
please, come back and tell us all about it!) but you get my drift. ;-)
Grow (some) of your own food - gardens/seedbeds for children of the younger
inhabitants.
I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Jane Ransom 01-02-2004 11:19 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Sacha
writes

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

How to make a worter feecha. Hanging baskets, propagation of plants. How
to make a garden private, user friendly and low maintenance (and then
please, come back and tell us all about it!) but you get my drift. ;-)
Grow (some) of your own food - gardens/seedbeds for children of the younger
inhabitants.

Thanks, Sacha, but we have regular 'speakers' and the topics you mention
crop up regularly! Plus we have two outings a year.
We were thinking along the lines of an interactive quiz or games or
something - if anyone has any ideas.

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender :((((((((((((
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Bob Hobden 01-02-2004 11:19 PM

"Jane wrote in message ...
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Said it before but how about a Marrow or better still Pumpkin growing
competition, give out the seeds yourself so they all start with the same,
and make a date in, say, September for the grand weigh in (local Pub might
well like to get involved in that!)
Your local school might like to get involved too.
Make prizes for different age groups. Do make sure you have good scales
though which you probably will have to hire, you may get some pumpkins of
400lbs or more.
A "How to grow" sheet would also be a good idea for those who have no idea,
and once they are hooked you have them for the rest of their lives. :-)
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
368 data units completed.

martin 01-02-2004 11:19 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:04:26 +0000, Jane Ransom
wrote:

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender :((((((((((((

How about a weekend in Amsterdam?
It seems full of unattached men for some reason.
--
Martin

martin 01-02-2004 11:19 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:53:58 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Jane wrote in message ...
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Said it before but how about a Marrow or better still Pumpkin growing
competition, give out the seeds yourself so they all start with the same,
and make a date in, say, September for the grand weigh in (local Pub might
well like to get involved in that!)

Followed by a traditional pumpkin seed spitting contest.
--
Martin

Mike 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

You say the 'younger' inhabitants? How young? I was in our Garden Centre
today and noticed a stand of 'Children's Garden Tools', why not start or
emphasise more the 'Younger' ones and even start a section for them and
invite Mum or Dad to join in as well? If the majority only have a small
garden do planned evenings/weekends on 'The Handkerchief Garden' and hold a
competition.

Add Social Evenings into your calendar with 'Bangers and Mash' Evenings,
these evenings can be fund raising events for your Society so ask them to
bring a prize for a Raffle. Not Horticultural or Gardening themed, but we
hold these fund raising evenings and think nothing of making £200.00 or more
and have a good evening.

"Take over" (with permission of the Council or whoever own them) any small
public gardens or flower beds and get people who don't normally have an
interest in gardening, to 'help' you to make a display of these beds. (Not
my idea, I got roped into doing the beds around the War Memorial and the
'Horse Trough' Flower bed)

Hold a Village in Bloom contest. The people who are going to take part
register now and the Judging is ........... you decide now so they have
something to go for. A Cup and a Certificate to keep AND, you will find your
local garden centre/nurseries will donate tokens as prizes, tie all of this
up with your local council, they 'might' pay for advertising and/or leaflets
to be printed/ distributed.

If you want to get the whole village involved there has to be something
which will appeal to ALL, like a "100 Club" with £500.00 worth of prizes
over the year 'run by the Horticultural Society'. (Just about to launch the
same thing here as a start to a £500,000.00 Fund Raising scheme for the
local 'Open Space/Sports Field'. BTW you have to be registered with your
local council and this will cost you £35.00 and you need the leaflet about
the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976)

More ideas? Have a 'Brain Storming' session where every idea is thrown into
the pot, no matter how daft. 'Something' could be made of even the most
stupid idea.

Mike

Kay Easton 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Sacha
writes
Jane Ransom1/2/04 5:06
n.co.uk

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

How to make a worter feecha. Hanging baskets, propagation of plants. How
to make a garden private, user friendly and low maintenance (and then
please, come back and tell us all about it!) but you get my drift. ;-)
Grow (some) of your own food - gardens/seedbeds for children of the younger
inhabitants.
I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

Tap into the current fashions for everything 'new age' - so feng shui,
herbal remedies from the garden.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Janet Baraclough .. 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article , Sacha
writes

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

I would guess/suggest that a lot of people don't 'take' to gardening until
their middle age, so don't despair!

I was only 22 when I got hooked.

I think the average age of our group is about 80 . . . . and most of the
female gender :((((((((((((

Our Gardening Club started much the same way a year ago, against much
head-shaking and teeth-sucking by the more fogeyish Horticultural
Society members (who are now completely won over and enthusiastic
attenders; in fact to hear some of them talk you'd think it was their
very own idea in the first place). Membership immediately expanded
beyond all expectations, (equal males and females) 40 or 50 turn up to a
monthly meeting including a slowly growing number of younger people
(30-ish). . It has also started a lending library of donated garden
books, which might draw in more newbie gardeners as word gets around.

Last week's meeting was a showing of an official 90 minute video
somebody had bought at the Eden Project, covering Tim Smit's inspiration
and the construction/preparation phase.. fascinating and very well
received by all ages. We're having a second one about the planting of
Eden, at a later meeting.

The initial meeting included a raffle of garden-related spare stuff
donated by founding members, anything from produce, to plants, seeds,
pots etc. It was so popular we now do it every month; very easy
fundraiser :-)

HTH

Janet

David Hill 01-02-2004 11:20 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

Why not contact a seed company to see if you could get free or reduced price
seed so you could give every child a free packet of seed.
A sponsored Sunflower growing competition. and if you can supply every
entrant with say 3 plants for an entry fee of 50p, so that they all have the
same variety to start with..........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Rodger Whitlock 01-02-2004 11:42 PM

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 17:06:11 +0000, Jane Ransom wrote:

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

We have much the same problem here with our local rock gardening
club. Our membership is graying and slowly dwindling in number --
and it's hard to think what might reverse this trend. Certainly
there's no quick fix.

It might help to understand the social forces that lead to this
kind of thing. I can think of a few:

1. There are many more leisure time activities these days than
there used to be, and they compete with gardening for leisure
hours.

2. People have ~fewer~ leisure hours than they used to, and work
is much more stressful. Modern life is far more complex and
demanding than life fifty years ago (say). By the time a working
stiff gets home, he (or she) is so exhausted that the last thing
he wants to do is go outside and dig around in the soil. (Even
though it might relieve the stress and exhaustion.)

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

4. Gardens are smaller these days so the tried-and-true ways of
gardening don't work as well as they used to.

I've thought that staging small one-day displays at local
shopping malls *might* attract potential new members, but with
something as specialized as rock gardening, perhaps one person in
a thousand would turn out to be a keener.

It's a nasty problem and I look forward with interest to other
replies.

(Incidentally, the Vancouver Island Rock and Alpine Garden
Society is the oldest rock garden club in the world, predating
the AGS by almost ten years! There's an older Swiss group that
maintains a true alpine garden up on an alp somewhere, but they
aren't the same kind of outfit and Don't Count.)

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Mike 02-02-2004 10:02 AM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

This may very well be the problem and it takes a very serious look at
yourself to see this and admit it. And it has to come from the top. How long
have the people on the committee been in office? Do they regard it as 'Their
Society'?

How are ideas received by the committee? "Oh we tried that once and it
didn't work" and then when you look back to when it was tried, it clashed
with the Coronation in 1953!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Victoria Clare 02-02-2004 10:33 AM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

lid (Rodger Whitlock) wrote in
:

I've thought that staging small one-day displays at local
shopping malls *might* attract potential new members, but with
something as specialized as rock gardening, perhaps one person in
a thousand would turn out to be a keener.

That sounds like a good idea to me. Speaking as someone who keeps failing
to get round to joining the local gardening group, I would be encouraged to
do so if I came across it doing something at a place where I already had to
be.

Maybe also leafleting, or doing something in conjunction with a local
school or in a B&Q or garden centre carpark at a weekend/bank holiday or
something?

I think I've seen them advertise midweek daytime meetings, which is
impossible for me, (and also shrieks ' we are all retired!').

But one reason I haven't joined yet is that when I go to the one shop where
they post their regular meetings notice, I never have a pen or any paper
with me! If they had a website, I'd probably be a member by now.

(Website: this need not be complicated or cost anything. A templated
freeby gadget such as those provided by
http://www.blogspot.com/ would be
ample, and very easy to manage.)

To address the gender balance, I suggest you also post details of events at
the local pub ;-).

HTH!

Victoria

Rodger Whitlock 02-02-2004 07:12 PM

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 10:29:39 +0000, Victoria Clare wrote:

To address the gender balance, I suggest you also post details of events at
the local pub ;-).

Gender balance is another BIG issue that I didn't mention in my
earlier contributions to this thread. I believe it's unhealthy
for a gardening group to become predominately one sex or the
other unless it's deliberately intended to be a single-sex
affair. When either men or women predominate, there's a tendency
for the group to become more sociable in a way that lessens the
focus on gardening. The women start doing female-competition
thingies, the men start doing golf thingies or something of the
sort. Neither is beneficial.

Also, the two sexes tend to have different styles, very broadly
speaking, and once the balance tips too far in one direction or
the other, the other side finds the situation repellent and stays
away. The situation becomes self-perpetuating and nearly
impossible to correct.

Yes, this may make me sound like some kind of horrible sexual
chauvinist, but I think it's a serious issue that one's group
ignores at their peril.

Rodger Whitlock 02-02-2004 07:30 PM

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:39:47 +0000 (UTC), Mike wrote:

3. A well-established group can become too satisfied with itself
or too tightly knit a social group and thus not very welcoming to
new members.

This may very well be the problem and it takes a very serious look at
yourself to see this and admit it. And it has to come from the top. How long
have the people on the committee been in office? Do they regard it as 'Their
Society'?

Our local rock gardening group is fortunate in that its bylaws
require committee members to step down after three years. As a
result, nearly all members have been on the committee at some
point. Moreover, because they've struggled in the kitchen
themselves, they tend not to criticize the cooking of whoever's
currently on the hook!

A provision of this nature is recommended. Otherwise, one must
resort to devious Machiavellian tactics to ease long-term
incumbents off the committee, and such tactics are neither easy
to devise nor easy to carry out. And can take a long time to
bring to fruition.

How are ideas received by the committee? "Oh we tried that once and it
didn't work" and then when you look back to when it was tried, it clashed
with the Coronation in 1953!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, yes. Seen that too.

Mike 02-02-2004 07:46 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

A provision of this nature is recommended. Otherwise, one must
resort to devious Machiavellian tactics to ease long-term
incumbents off the committee, and such tactics are neither easy
to devise nor easy to carry out. And can take a long time to
bring to fruition.

The Constitution of an Association has been in force since the IGM in 1998.
Various events and highlights have come to the fore and I have put various
propositions to change certain elements at the next AGM. I have pointed out
in no uncertain terms that these propositions will only be put forward at
the members request. All the members are aware of the problems and I have
received overwhelming support for the changes. There are a few
modifications, but in general the proposals will be for the members benefit
and will see a change of Committee members on a routine basis.

Now completely Off Topic of Gardening, but perhaps someone could clarify
something which has cropped up on another committee I am on.

Can, or should, a Chairman express his/her objection to a proposal 'and I
want nothing to do with it' because of his/her own feelings? The Sports and
Recreation Ground we are fund raising for is to have dogs banned. "In that
case it is not for ALL the residents, so I want nothing to do with it"

Your comments please.

Mike

JennyC 03-02-2004 09:39 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

How about an exchange of labour - The oldies go round to the newbies and give
advice and demonstrate techniques. The newbies in return help the oldies with
some digging/pruning or other 'heavy tasks'

Try to get some younger speakers - someone who does not look or sound like Percy
Thrower :~))

Maybe a talk on modern garden design ?

Do you have immigrants in your vicinity ? They can be VERY keen gardeners !

Jenny

Jan 03-02-2004 09:45 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

Get someone hunky like Diarmud or that other chap, name escapes, me, blond,
oh yes, Sven, to give talks on various topics. They'd bring me a running!

Jane Ransom 03-02-2004 11:18 PM

Gardening club - activity ideas needed!!!

In article , Jan
writes

Get someone hunky like Diarmud or that other chap, name escapes, me, blond,
oh yes, Sven, to give talks on various topics. They'd bring me a running!

We'd love to . . . but we don't have enough money!!!!!!!!
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Frogleg 04-02-2004 10:56 AM

wrote:

We are in the process of bringing our local 'Horticultural Society' into
the twenty first century and are looking for ideas for activities that
might attract the younger inhabitants of our village.

Without being rude, please, does anyone have any brilliant brain waves
that might help us out?

No non-brilliant need apply? :-)

For adults, herbs seem to generate a lot of interest. Cooking,
medicinal (watch it!) properties, cosmetic uses, etc.

A program on easily-grown veg (lettuce, peas, beans, radishes) might
be appealing, especially considering the cost in stores.

Children (and their parents) may be attracted to things like bean
teepees and sunflower houses. See:

http://tinyurl.com/2e7pk

There are many veg and flowers that sprout reliably and return nearly
instant gratification for children. Also 'weird' veg, like yard-long
beans and strange squash and gourds.