Old 02-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Marin

Default Anyone know this plant?

Hello. I once saw a very nice plant in someone's garden. It was a
large bush with hundreds of fruit that looked like red/orange apples
the size of cherries. It had a quite a lot of foliage. It's dificult
to remember the size exactly, but it was roundish in shape and about
1.5-2 meters tall and about 2 meters diameter. Anyone know what the
name of it is?

--
many thanks,
Erik
Old 02-02-2004, 05:02 PM
Sue

crab apple?

--
Sue Wood, Derby, England.
Please note: Return email address is modified
"Marin" wrote in message
om...
Hello. I once saw a very nice plant in someone's garden. It was a
large bush with hundreds of fruit that looked like red/orange apples
the size of cherries. It had a quite a lot of foliage. It's dificult
to remember the size exactly, but it was roundish in shape and about
1.5-2 meters tall and about 2 meters diameter. Anyone know what the
name of it is?

--
many thanks,
Erik

---

Old 29-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Marin

crab apple?

I thought crab apple was a full blown tree with small green apples, no?

--
Thanks,
Erik

Old 29-02-2004, 11:21 PM
martin

On 29 Feb 2004 04:29:21 -0800, (Marin) wrote:

crab apple?

I thought crab apple was a full blown tree with small green apples, no?

Yes, a 16 metre high tree when full grown.

http://www.british-trees.com/guide/crabapple.htm
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 29-02-2004, 11:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Marin
writes
crab apple?

I thought crab apple was a full blown tree with small green apples, no?

A crab apple was originally a wild apple tree species which had small,
sharp tasting apples about the same as cherries.

Over many hundreds of years, gardeners (in the widest sense) have
carried out selective breeding, aiming for big and juicy fruit, and as a
result many hundreds of dessert and cooking apples have been developed,
as well as cider apples.

And other gardeners were selectively breeding for purely ornamental
purposes, so that now there are many ornamental varieties of crab apple,
for example, 'John Downie' with red fruits and 'Golden Hornet' with
bright yellow fruits.

So, I suppose a working definition might be that a crab apple is an
apple with small fruit grown for mainly ornamental purposes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: