Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-02-2004, 12:57 AM
ned

Default mating frogs in Yorkshire

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
news
Two frogs mating in one of our garden ponds this morning. This is
very
early - earliest date so far for frogspawn has been Mar 4th.

Frogs are quite notorious for indulging in lengthy periods of 'nooky'
before anything significant happens. Male frogs, anxious to be on hand
when the female has her big moment, will 'hitch a ride', so to speak,
for many days beforehand. I have seen one female weighed down by the
very close attention of three males embracing her in 'amplexus'. With
global warming and all, one can never be sure quite what is happening
but I would have thought this male is just a little premature. :-)
'Nothing new in nature, eh? ;-))

--
ned