Old 09-02-2004, 02:30 AM
Jan

Default Potatoes in Buckets

Regarding the recent discussion about growing potatoes in tyres and adding
tyres as the plant grows taller -- would it be possible to grow potatoes in
a black plastic bin liner, the liner rolled down initially, and rolled up
each time more soil is added?

Or, is it possible to grow potatoes in buckets, the cheap type that are for
everyday household use?

Old 09-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jan" contains these words:

Regarding the recent discussion about growing potatoes in tyres and adding
tyres as the plant grows taller -- would it be possible to grow potatoes in
a black plastic bin liner, the liner rolled down initially, and rolled up
each time more soil is added?

Yes. Make some drainage holes in the bottom though. One proviso -
plastic bags might be degraded by sunlight, though blackness thereof
would serve to warm the compost and accelerate growth.

I'd suggest one sack inside another, because they aren't completely
opaque, and you may get gree tubers where they meet the plastic.

Or, is it possible to grow potatoes in buckets, the cheap type that are for
everyday household use?

Do you really want to make holes in the buckets?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 09-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Jan" wrote in message
Is it possible to grow potatoes in buckets, the cheap type that are for
everyday household use?

We regularly grow spuds in buckets. We have ten buckets (89p each from
Wickes) with holes in.
Five in the greenhouse and five outside, we keep replanting them through the
year which means we can have new tatties on Christmas Day. A handful of
rotted horse nuck goes in each - and sometimes a dollop of seaweed if we've
been to the beach.
The yield is smaller than the spuds grown in the ground, but the taste and
texture always seems better - especially when we've used seaweed.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Jan

"Jan" wrote in message
Regarding the recent discussion about growing potatoes in tyres and adding
tyres as the plant grows taller -- would it be possible to grow potatoes

in
a black plastic bin liner, the liner rolled down initially, and rolled up
each time more soil is added?
Or, is it possible to grow potatoes in buckets, the cheap type that are

for
everyday household use?

Thanks for your replies, Jaques and Sue. I might give both the bucket and
the bin liner methods a try.

Another question - any recommendations for best type of potatoes to grow in
the confined spaces?

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Jan" wrote in message
"Jan" wrote in message
Another question - any recommendations for best type of potatoes to grow

in
the confined spaces?

Thanks.

I know it sounds daft, but the best result we had was from Tesco Value spuds
that had started to chit!
Otherwise we buy whatever the local garden centre is selling off at the end
of the season (the bucket spuds always catch up) or any of the Marshalls
late varieties for Xmas tatties.