Old 13-02-2004, 01:10 PM
John Horne

Default Preparation for lawn

I have a large back garden (60 X 30yds), which I wish to put to grass, not
Wimbledon you understand, just fairly flat grass that I can cut with a sit-on
mower (don't tell herself that bit just yet).

I sprayed the whole lot late last year, with Glyfos, managed to kill all the
grass and weeds but the moss thrived on it, really nice and green..! I have
rotivated and tilled it now, it is relatively flat, so soon I guess I should
consider seeding it.

Could anyone be kind enough to answer the following questions...?

a. I plan to give it another good spray to kill off any dormant weeds, what
should I use to ensure that the moss gets the good news as well?

b. When should I sow, and do I need to do anything else before that?

c. What grass seed should I use, bearing in mind I live in Southern Scotland.
Something slow growing and hardy would be ideal, and where should I purchase
such seeds?

d. How do I stop the pheasants/local bird population from having a feast on
the seed?

As you can tell I am a novice at this gardening lark, so any help would be
greatly appreciated.

John