Old 13-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Joy

Default Planting seeds in Spain

Hello,

I have just planted several types of seeds (lavendar, dwarf dahlias,
sunflowers and a couple of others I'm not sure of their names in English) in
seed trays, covered them with plastic bags and brown paper and put them in
the spare bedroom. But now I'm not sure what to do.....when they start
sprouting do I put them outside in seperate pots? Do I have to wait until
they are quite big until they go out? I live in Northern Spain so the
weather is not quite as harsh as in the UK, but the difference between the
centrally-heated house and the outdoors is still quite marked.

Any advice please?

Thanks, Joy

Old 13-02-2004, 10:14 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Joy writes
Hello,

I have just planted several types of seeds (lavendar, dwarf dahlias,
sunflowers and a couple of others I'm not sure of their names in English) in
seed trays, covered them with plastic bags and brown paper and put them in
the spare bedroom. But now I'm not sure what to do.....when they start
sprouting do I put them outside in seperate pots? Do I have to wait until
they are quite big until they go out? I live in Northern Spain so the
weather is not quite as harsh as in the UK, but the difference between the
centrally-heated house and the outdoors is still quite marked.

When they start sprouting they will need a lot of light so move them on
to the windowsill if they're not already there. They'll start with two
fleshy seed leaves, then they'll start producing their true leaves. You
can pot them on any time after that.

The lavender can tolerate low temperatures, so it could go outside quite
soon .. but get it used to the change by, for about a week, taking it
outside in the daytime and bringing it in at night. Sunflower is
probably quite tough too.

Of course, if you've got them in several pots, you can always be
experimental, try hardening off some and keep others indoors.

What you are doing is getting a balance between the shock of adapting to
a cooler habitat, and the lack of light indoors. There's no hard and
fast rules.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: