GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/52791-grass-fly-tipper-hit-hard-pocket.html)

David Hill 17-02-2004 07:11 PM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

".........Yes but, to be fair, he might have intended to take it to the
local tip (a.k.a. recycling centre), and only fly tipped on
impulse..........."

If his council has the facilities to take green waste.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Nick Maclaren 17-02-2004 07:46 PM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| But I do agree that the presence of the wheelie bin pointed to intent,
| which is a much more serious matter than impulse.

Yes but, to be fair, he might have intended to take it to the local
tip (a.k.a. recycling centre), and only fly tipped on impulse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-02-2004 05:12 AM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

The message
In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:

| But I do agree that the presence of the wheelie bin pointed to intent,
| which is a much more serious matter than impulse.

Yes but, to be fair, he might have intended to take it to the local
tip (a.k.a. recycling centre), and only fly tipped on impulse.

Well, we haven't the full trial transcript, so i doubt if we shall ever know.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Jaques d'Alltrades 18-02-2004 05:38 AM

Robert E A Harvey 18-02-2004 12:07 PM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
But the other point made by the defence is a good one. Dumping
such material onto farmland is the least important form of fly
tipping - certainly less serious than throwing a plastic container
out of a car window.

I don't think it's as trivial as all that. Sheep and horses are often
attracted by the smell of clippings, and can suffer serious illness if
they eat fermented grass clippins. It has been known to be fatal,
(as, of course has eating plastic bottles) to valuable animals.

The ideal penalty for that offender would have assigned him to
collecting non-degradable rubbish from that farm and others, say
10 wheelie-bins full.

That's not bad. I like that.

AlanWT 25-02-2004 08:33 AM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

OK, so it was biodegradable stuff this time. But what about the next (or indeed, previous) occasion when he might have builders rubble or similar to get rid of. There are a lot of fly tippers in the area in which I live (despite the area being well provided with composting tips), and I hate them.

They should be birched, put in prison for twenty years, birched again, then hung :)

martin 25-02-2004 12:30 PM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:31:37 GMT, AlanWT
wrote:

They should be birched, put in prison for twenty years, birched again,
then hung :)

So much for your entertainment, now what about a suitable punishment?
:-)
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Jaques d'Alltrades 25-02-2004 12:57 PM

Grass fly-tipper hit hard in pocket

The message m
from AlanWT contains these words:
Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
[b]The message

=blue]
But the other point made by the defence is a good one. Dumping
such material onto farmland is the least important form of fly
tipping - certainly less serious than throwing a plastic container
out of a car window. It becomes serious only when done on an
industrial scale.

[/color]

OK, so it was biodegradable stuff this time. But what about the next
(or indeed, previous) occasion when he might have builders rubble or
similar to get rid of. There are a lot of fly tippers in the area in
which I live (despite the area being well provided with composting
tips), and I hate them.

They should be birched, put in prison for twenty years, birched again,
then hung :)

Please be careful of your attributions. I didn't write a word of what
you quoted.

Frogleg 25-02-2004 05:14 PM

wrote:

OK, so it was biodegradable stuff this time. But what about the next
(or indeed, previous) occasion when he might have builders rubble or
similar to get rid of. There are a lot of fly tippers in the area in
which I live (despite the area being well provided with composting
tips), and I hate them.

I take it that fly-tipping is what we call 'illegal dumping', but
don't you have rubbish collection? Why would someone take the trouble
to transport his yard waste to another property? Rules and methods
differ from place to place here (US). My city gives each home a large
(90 gallon) plastic bin for regular trash, and a slightly smaller one
for recycling (of paper, glass, plastic, & metal). Lawn clippings and
leaves are to be bagged in clear plastic and left at the curb (kerb?).
Managable piles of small branches, etc. may also be left at the curb
for pickup. We are billed semi-monthly for this.

martin 25-02-2004 05:28 PM

wrote:

OK, so it was biodegradable stuff this time. But what about the next
(or indeed, previous) occasion when he might have builders rubble or
similar to get rid of. There are a lot of fly tippers in the area in
which I live (despite the area being well provided with composting
tips), and I hate them.

I take it that fly-tipping is what we call 'illegal dumping', but
don't you have rubbish collection? Why would someone take the trouble
to transport his yard waste to another property? Rules and methods
differ from place to place here (US). My city gives each home a large
(90 gallon) plastic bin for regular trash, and a slightly smaller one
for recycling (of paper, glass, plastic, & metal). Lawn clippings and
leaves are to be bagged in clear plastic and left at the curb (kerb?).

It's similar here in the Netherlands, but not the clear plastic bags,
which are a major cause of pollution.

One black bin for general trash, a brown one for garden waste. Bins
emptied alternate weeks.
Bottles have to be taken to bottle banks, waste paper is collected
once a week and heavy rubbish collected on request.

shazzbat 25-02-2004 05:37 PM

wrote:

[...]

Yes it is what you call illegal dumping, but the situation in UK is very
inconsistent. Different councils have their own policy about what can or
cannot be collected with the weekly (in my area) domestic waste collection,
which may be by means of bin bags, wheely bins or bulk bins which are often
used for block of flats (apts).

Most councils also have a recyclables collection which may or may not
include green waste. It also may or may not include glass, for safety
reasons. What may be included may also change according to current market
conditions for recycling the specific product. Newspapers usually are
included, card is often not. Many places have a Christmas tree shredding
service in the new year.

These collections are financed through council tax, which is itself the
subject of a lot of argument right now, as was the community charge (poll
tax) before it, and the rates before that.

In addition, most areas have domestic waste disposal sites where one may
take items too big for the regular collection, or green waste etc. Also old
engine oil etc. Many of these sites also sell of a lot of the second-hand
stuff.

Steve