Old 25-02-2004, 05:12 PM
martin

Default Bean weevil - Acanthoscelides obtectus

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:26:38 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, PK wrote:

I've caught a few of them in a small jar in case I need to send them
to anyone. I could send you a few if you like! ;-)

There used to be a weevil expert in the Natural History Museum in S
Kensington, but since he is older than me he may have retired - but
they may have replaced him. If it is something that is uncommon in
UK, I imagine they'd be interested to see it.

Not as uncommon as you might think. we had an infestation originating from a
packet of mixed wild bird seed in the bottom of the larder cupboard. It took
us months to finallly rootle out all the opened packest of this and that
that were acting as reservoirs for reinfestation.

But was it Acanthoscelides obtectus? From what I've read they will
attack only beans (of all sorts) and peas.

As I mentioned before, we had an infestation of weevils many years ago
from some spices bought in a supermarket in Chinatown but that was a
different type.

I've done more reading up on the subject and can find only passing
references to it in British writings, but no reports of any outbreaks in
the UK. Strangely enough, one paper referred to how they deal with that
weevil in Zimbabwe - which is where our house sitter last summer came
from!

perhaps it would be a good idea to contact MAFF?
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 25-02-2004, 05:35 PM
David Rance

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, martin wrote:

But was it Acanthoscelides obtectus? From what I've read they will
attack only beans (of all sorts) and peas.

perhaps it would be a good idea to contact MAFF?

Ah, that's good idea, Martin.

Actually I remembered this morning that I have a friend that works at
DEFRA. I've emailed him and await his reply.

| Internet: | writing from |
| Fidonet: David Rance 2:252/110 | Caversham, |
| BBS:
telnet://mesnil.demon.co.uk | Reading, UK |

Old 25-02-2004, 05:35 PM
martin

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:08:40 +0000, David Rance
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, martin wrote:

But was it Acanthoscelides obtectus? From what I've read they will
attack only beans (of all sorts) and peas.

perhaps it would be a good idea to contact MAFF?

Ah, that's good idea, Martin.

Actually I remembered this morning that I have a friend that works at
DEFRA. I've emailed him and await his reply.

Men in moon suits will be knocking at your door in a moment :-)

Old 25-02-2004, 05:38 PM
David Rance

Old 25-02-2004, 05:39 PM
David Rance

Old 25-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, martin wrote:

But was it Acanthoscelides obtectus? From what I've read they will
attack only beans (of all sorts) and peas.

perhaps it would be a good idea to contact MAFF?

Ah, that's good idea, Martin.

Actually I remembered this morning that I have a friend that works at
DEFRA. I've emailed him and await his reply.

Men in moon suits will be knocking at your door in a moment :-)

La-La Po......

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-02-2004, 11:17 PM
David Rance

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, martin wrote:

But was it Acanthoscelides obtectus? From what I've read they will
attack only beans (of all sorts) and peas.

perhaps it would be a good idea to contact MAFF?

Ah, that's good idea, Martin.

Actually I remembered this morning that I have a friend that works at
DEFRA. I've emailed him and await his reply.

Men in moon suits will be knocking at your door in a moment :-)

I had two phone calls as a result of my email to my friend at DEFRA, one
of which was from a plant health and seeds inspector. From my
description, particularly when I said we'd had a visit from someone from
Zimbabwe, he took it seriously enough to ask me to send some of these
weevils to their lab. If they turn out to be non-indigenous then (he
said) I'll be hearing further from him!

I'll keep you posted!

Old 25-02-2004, 11:17 PM
David Rance