GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grubs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/53430-grubs.html)

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-02-2004 11:20 PM

grubs

The message
from martin contains these words:

When I was a small child, my grandmother had a jackdaw that talked, it
also did imitations of her calling the chickens to be fed. One day the
jackdaw was found dead in the copper, foul play was suspected. Foul
not fowl!.

On my way to school - or more likely, on my way back - there was a
jackdaw which used to sit on the balustrade over a parade of shops.

It was a most discerning bird, for it would wait until something very
young and busty approached, whereupon it would give a piercing
wolf-whistle.

Several times I received a very nasty look.....

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

martin 29-02-2004 11:20 PM

grubs

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 11:59:54 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

When I was a small child, my grandmother had a jackdaw that talked, it
also did imitations of her calling the chickens to be fed. One day the
jackdaw was found dead in the copper, foul play was suspected. Foul
not fowl!.

On my way to school - or more likely, on my way back - there was a
jackdaw which used to sit on the balustrade over a parade of shops.

It was a most discerning bird, for it would wait until something very
young and busty approached, whereupon it would give a piercing
wolf-whistle.

Several times I received a very nasty look.....

I remember being framed by a parrot, that behaved in a similar way :-)

There was a parrot, with an extensive vocabulary, that resided in the
Dovercourt Hotel, where people waiting for the Harwich - Hoek ferry
sometimes had a meal, including lots of truck drivers.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Franz Heymann 29-02-2004 11:21 PM

grubs

"martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:59:10 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

We now often have more house sparrows than chaffinches at the feeders.
{:-))

3 and 2 respectively? :-)

About 30 and 20 And 20 jackdaws.

Franz

Janet Baraclough .. 29-02-2004 11:22 PM

grubs

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

6 looks like VI looks like
six, however you write it.

If you write 6 upside down, it looks like 9, and if you write VI back
to front it looks like four.

Janet

Sacha 29-02-2004 11:22 PM

grubs

Janet Baraclough ..29/2/04 4:40
..uk

The message
from Jaques d'Alltrades contains
these words:

6 looks like VI looks like
six, however you write it.

If you write 6 upside down, it looks like 9, and if you write VI back
to front it looks like four.

Janet

That's why you need to draw a line under it. ;-)
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Jaques d'Alltrades 29-02-2004 11:23 PM

grubs

The message
from martin contains these words:

It was a most discerning bird, for it would wait until something very
young and busty approached, whereupon it would give a piercing
wolf-whistle.

Several times I received a very nasty look.....

I remember being framed by a parrot, that behaved in a similar way :-)

There was a parrot, with an extensive vocabulary, that resided in the
Dovercourt Hotel, where people waiting for the Harwich - Hoek ferry
sometimes had a meal, including lots of truck drivers.

On holiday, passing a neighbouring chalet with the dog, a parrot sees
sport: "Miaow!" Dog stops, looks round, ignores parrot as parrots aren't
exactly feline.

Dog turns back: "Miaow!".

Dog spins round.

Parrot: "Ruff! Ruff! Ruff!"

Dog: "GrrrrrrRufff!"

Parrot: "Miaow!"

Dog, (demented): "Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow! Rrruow!"

I had to resort to a lead.....