Old 06-03-2004, 11:17 AM
martin

Default Reverse thermostat

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 03:03:06 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

I am thinking of having 2 rows of 4 x 9 x 18 inch blocks with 4 inch
perforated drainage pipe as ducting between them then toped of with 2in
stone to fill the top 5 inch, poss. with slate or something as a toping.
The idea is that the hot air from the top of the tunnel will be blown
through the ducting all day heating the stone and blocks which will then
give of the heat through the night at floor level below the benches.
I don't know if it will work, but I have seen heat sinks used that are pits
around 2 to 3 ft deep filled with 6 inch cobble stones that are heated
through the day by the hot air from the top of a glasshouse.

Thanks for the thermostat ideas, I'll look into them

If you can afford it you'd do better to have several interconnected
plastic drums well buried under the greenhouse beds and filled with
water. A copper pipe riser to the top of the greenhouse, along the
top/ridge, and back down to the far end of the drums, and a thermostat
on the pipe so that when it reaches a preset temperature it starts a
small central-heating pump.

That way you can have warm beds heating the air in the greenhouse during
the nights.

.... and then there are real heat pumps. A heat pump expert I worked
with assured me, that I could heat my house by extracting heat through
the living room wall, that I share with a neighbour, the only snag was
that it might cause frost to form on their side of the wall. He also
developed a heating system that ran on a solution of old engine oil
and water emulsified with a second hand Dutch mayonnaise machine. A
large church in Haarlem was heated this way, parishioners brought old
engine oil to church with them. Sadly burning old engine oil is
illegal here now.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad
Old 06-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Franz Heymann

"David Hill" wrote in message
I am thinking of having 2 rows of 4 x 9 x 18 inch blocks with 4 inch
perforated drainage pipe as ducting between them then toped of with 2in
stone to fill the top 5 inch, poss. with slate or something as a toping.
The idea is that the hot air from the top of the tunnel will be blown
through the ducting all day heating the stone and blocks which will then
give of the heat through the night at floor level below the benches.
I don't know if it will work, but I have seen heat sinks used that are

pits
around 2 to 3 ft deep filled with 6 inch cobble stones that are heated
through the day by the hot air from the top of a glasshouse.

It sounds like a idea worth trying.
If you do try it out, please report on the outcome.

Thanks for the thermostat ideas, I'll look into them

Franz

Old 06-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

... and then there are real heat pumps. A heat pump expert I worked
with assured me, that I could heat my house by extracting heat through
the living room wall, that I share with a neighbour, the only snag was
that it might cause frost to form on their side of the wall.

You only need something like a length of something like copper pipe, a
compressor from a deep-freeze and a means of distributing the collected
heat. (Hot water tank, radiaror and fan, etc)

Heat can be removed from (say) underneath paths and drive, solar panels,
the kitchen, the lodger's bed, deep down under the ground.

He also
developed a heating system that ran on a solution of old engine oil
and water emulsified with a second hand Dutch mayonnaise machine. A
large church in Haarlem was heated this way, parishioners brought old
engine oil to church with them. Sadly burning old engine oil is
illegal here now.

Pity it's illegal, as ..... oh, as you we you mean they stopped using it?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 06-03-2004, 06:47 PM
martin

On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 12:44:48 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

... and then there are real heat pumps. A heat pump expert I worked
with assured me, that I could heat my house by extracting heat through
the living room wall, that I share with a neighbour, the only snag was
that it might cause frost to form on their side of the wall.

You only need something like a length of something like copper pipe, a
compressor from a deep-freeze and a means of distributing the collected
heat. (Hot water tank, radiaror and fan, etc)

yes, and efficient enough not use more energy sucking energy than
than the energy you obtain.

Heat can be removed from (say) underneath paths and drive, solar panels,
the kitchen, the lodger's bed, deep down under the ground.

He also
developed a heating system that ran on a solution of old engine oil
and water emulsified with a second hand Dutch mayonnaise machine. A
large church in Haarlem was heated this way, parishioners brought old
engine oil to church with them. Sadly burning old engine oil is
illegal here now.

Pity it's illegal, as ..... oh, as you we you mean they stopped using it?

I think it's illegal here, but probably not in UK. They did stop using
it in the church, I suspect he still heats his home with a similar bit
of gear.