Old 05-03-2004, 11:46 PM
David Hill

Default Reverse thermostat

I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly tunnel and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat that will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the job.
Any ideas?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 05-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Neil Jones

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly tunnel

and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a

heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat

that will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the job.
Any ideas?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

You want a thermostat with changeover contacts, eg Honeywell T4360
heat/cool.

Neil

Old 05-03-2004, 11:54 PM
martin

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:47:07 -0000, "David Hill"
wrote:

I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly tunnel and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat that will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the job.
Any ideas?

If you do a bit of clever wiring with a standard thermostat switch and
a relay you can get what you want. I am sure an expert will be along
in a minute.
--

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Old 06-03-2004, 01:17 AM
Neil Jones

"Neil Jones" wrote in message

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly

tunnel
and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a

heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat

that will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the

job.
Any ideas?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk

You want a thermostat with changeover contacts, eg Honeywell T4360
heat/cool.

Neil

Here's the documentation for this:-

http://europe.hbc.honeywell.com/prod...8281uk07r2.pdf

The T4360D would do what you want, although it doesn't actually use
changeover contacts, but a winter/summer switch instead.

The T6360 range all appear to use changeover for heating/cooling.

Regards

Neil

Old 06-03-2004, 01:26 AM
Kay Easton

In article , David Hill david@abacus
nurseries.freeserve.co.uk writes
I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly tunnel and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat that will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the job.
Any ideas?

I don't understand the details of what you are doing, but ...

Can you use the thermostat to switch on something of lower resistance to
the thing you want to control and in parallel to it? Then you put the
'thing' on permanently, but if the temperature is too low, the
thermostat circuit is open and short circuits the other. Once the
temperature rises, the thermostat cuts out, closing off the short
circuit and in effect switching the other circuit on.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 06-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Cerumen

"David Hill" wrote in message
I have this idea to draw the heat from the top of my Large poly tunnel

and
to duct it through a channel of concrete blocks and gravel to form a

heat
sink.
The problem is I am wondering if I can get some form of thermostat that

will
switch ON when the Temp rises and OFF when it falls.
My local Electrical wholesaler doesn't know of anything to do the job.
Any ideas?

I can only say your electrical wholesaler is an idiot, there are any
number of manufacturers who make thermostats that can turn on or off on
temp rise or fall or even with a two way or two pole switch do both.
Honeywell would spring to mind but there are many others.
--

Chris Thomas
West Cork