Old 07-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Jon

Default HELP - Bamboo!

We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is) taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

Old 07-03-2004, 04:27 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jon" wrote in message
We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is)

taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

Only with a pick-axe, blood, sweat, tears and plenty of time, even if you
have started the job off with Sodium Chlorate.
I speak with the voice of experience.
*Never* buy a house without first checking up on whether there is any bamboo
in the garden.

Franz

Old 07-03-2004, 07:50 PM
nambucca

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Jon" wrote in message
We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is)

taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

Only with a pick-axe, blood, sweat, tears and plenty of time, even if you
have started the job off with Sodium Chlorate.
I speak with the voice of experience.
*Never* buy a house without first checking up on whether there is any

bamboo
in the garden.

Franz

Oh come on Franz .........many bamboos are perfectly controlled and a joy to
have

I would rather deal with Bamboo any day than other folks Leylandii

Old 07-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Jon" contains these words:

We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is) taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

If you are anywhere near Norfolk you can put some my way.

Don't listen to Franz - he hasn't got any pandas to keep his down....

We had some clumps of bamboo when I was an anklebiter, and in twenty
years the clumps hardly enlarged at all. You seem to have a nice
vigorous example. Cut the canes each year and grow runner beans is my
advice......

You might have to do a bit of hard digging and chopping if you really
want to reduce them, but just trimming off any new root extensions with
a spade isn't difficult, and killing the whole clump isn't a great
problem either. Glyphosate in the mid spring should do the job, but
unfortunately it doesn't dig the roots up.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 07-03-2004, 11:21 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jon" wrote in message
We moved into our house a year ago and the bamboo was (and still is)

taking
over the garden.
How can I kill some of it off please????

Only with a pick-axe, blood, sweat, tears and plenty of time, even if

you
have started the job off with Sodium Chlorate.
I speak with the voice of experience.
*Never* buy a house without first checking up on whether there is any

bamboo
in the garden.

Franz

Oh come on Franz .........many bamboos are perfectly controlled and a joy

have

The OP talks of having moved into a garden which contains obviously
uncontrolled bamboos.

I would rather deal with Bamboo any day than other folks Leylandii

I did not say that uncontrolled bamoos were the only garden curses. {:-((

Franz

Old 07-03-2004, 11:25 PM
Franz Heymann

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
[...]

And there lies the rub.

Franz

Old 08-03-2004, 12:05 AM
Lou P

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:04:45 +0000 (UTC), whilst Caruthers was creaming
the maids muffin, (to her great delight) this cracking stuff arrived
from "Franz Heymann" not wishing
to put Caruthers of his stroke I decided to deal with it:

Only with a pick-axe, blood, sweat, tears and plenty of time, even if you
have started the job off with Sodium Chlorate.
I speak with the voice of experience.
*Never* buy a house without first checking up on whether there is any bamboo
in the garden.

My neighbour to the right of me had bamboo in his garden, I had bamboo
in my garden. My neighbour on my left had bamboo in his garden.
It all arrived from a dumped clump on waste ground at the top of the
road next to my neighbour on my right! It travelled down the back of
our common fence.

We all moved in at around the same time over a period of a year. It
was well established and my lot was, wait for it....20 feet tall and
about 18 feet by 6. I jest not. It took us about 5 years to finally
get rid of it. The shoots had a habit of appearing about 6 feet from
where the main clump stood usually through my wifes gladdys patch. It
had to go. One spear pushed a paving slab up!

Yes wonderful stuff.....of nightmares.

Lou
Old 08-03-2004, 03:22 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Franz Heymann" contains these words:

Oh come on Franz .........many bamboos are perfectly controlled and a joy

have

The OP talks of having moved into a garden which contains obviously
uncontrolled bamboos.

I would rather deal with Bamboo any day than other folks Leylandii

I did not say that uncontrolled bamoos were the only garden curses. {:-((

Anyone know how hardy giant bamboos are?