Old 12-03-2004, 01:47 AM
Steve Harris

Default Butternut squash

I've just eaten a very nice Butternut Squash which reached me from
Argentina via Tesco :-)

Is it worth saving and planing the seeds? Or is it likely to be a pesky
F1 hybrid?

A useful bit of gardening software at http://www.netservs.com/garden/
Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 AM
Dwayne

You never know. You might save them, and plant 2 or 3 hills and see what
you come up with.

Dwayne

Old 12-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Steve Harris
writes
I've just eaten a very nice Butternut Squash which reached me from
Argentina via Tesco :-)

Is it worth saving and planing the seeds? Or is it likely to be a pesky
F1 hybrid?

I's probably worth it, we've grown squashes successfully from bought
ones before now.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 12-03-2004, 03:25 PM
Sue da Nimm

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote
in message ...
In message , Steve Harris
writes
I've just eaten a very nice Butternut Squash which reached me from
Argentina via Tesco :-)

Is it worth saving and planing the seeds? Or is it likely to be a pesky
F1 hybrid?

Give it a go. We did and got some rampant squash plants that produced lots
of pear-sized gourds.
These were delicious - but seedless, so we couldn't do it again.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:12 PM
Steph

Definitely give it a try - I have grown from both bought seed and 'Tesco'
seed with slightly better results from bought. The Organic catalogue have a
good selection. My results last year were so successful I haven't yet
managed to eat them all!

Steph Power