Old 13-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Mike

Default Any Plants or Shrubs For Dry Soil ?

I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

Old 13-03-2004, 03:25 PM
soon to be birthday girl :)

Mike wrote:

I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

Hostas need moist shady soil. I don't think you will be able to grow
much if anything at all beneath conifers as they leach nutrients and
moisture from the soil. You could perhaps go the way of raised beds and
containers which will give you more options perhaps. I personally think
a selection of hostas look great and their flowers are spectacular.

Old 13-03-2004, 11:53 PM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

Take a look at the URG FAQ for shade loving plants:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

Might be something there that grabs you :~)

Jenny

Old 13-03-2004, 11:53 PM
nambucca

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in

between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave

me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

I suffer the same problem ........however have dug down the boundary and

cut off all roots to 2ft and slammed in old paving slabs on their sides to
block the roots path

Then piled in compost my side and planted with a variety of shrubs that are
happy in relatively dry soil and semi shade

Keep them watered the first season and pile on compost every spring you will
find they should put down deep roots and cope

High Hedge bill has been passed just waiting for the nitty gritty so if the
neighbours conifers are tall and blocking your light come end of the year
you will have a lot of bargaining power

See www.hedgeline.org for details

Old 14-03-2004, 04:04 AM
JennyC

"Mike" wrote in message
I have a border approximately 40ft long , 3ft wide which doesn't get much
sun due to neighbours conifers.

From Spring onwards birds like to have dustbaths at the base and in between
the Conifers. Its also an area where cats come through at night and leave me
presents to find in the morning.

Is their something I could plant my side, low and bushy (with small roots)
?

Thanks.

Mike

PS: My family has already suggested Hostas but I'm not keen.

Take a look at the URG FAQ for shade loving plants:
http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqshade.htm

Might be something there that grabs you :~)

Jenny

Dry soil? Six plants that will brighten your landscape [email protected] Gardening 0 25-05-2006 12:31 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
wet or dry soil in Autumn; which do plants like?? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 04-10-2003 02:02 PM
FREE PLANTS any reccomendations for trees or shrubs in QLD Hairy Blotter Australia 0 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
any reccomendations for trees or shrubs in QLD Paul Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:36 AM