Old 16-03-2004, 04:33 AM
Broadback

Default Early Veg.

I am rapidly running out of veg, 6 leeks, 2 cabbages, several parsnips
and 2 caulies, yet to head up.

We have used all the frozen up, so I may have to go back to the
supermarkets,. [sigh]

What are the earliest veg I can grow? Low lying North Staffordshire,
raised beds and availability of polythene tunnels to cover.

--
Do not reply to the email address. As all replies to this address are
deleted on arrival.
Old 16-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Robert

:
: We have used all the frozen up, so I may have to go back to the
: supermarkets,. [sigh]
:
: What are the earliest veg I can grow? Low lying North Staffordshire,
: raised beds and availability of polythene tunnels to cover.

Parsnips are generally the earliest to go in although you won't get anything
worth digging for a good while. What about early pototoes? You can pick
those young and some peas and summer cabbage.

Old 16-03-2004, 04:35 AM
Rod

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:19:24 +0000 (UTC), "Robert"
wrote:

: I am rapidly running out of veg, 6 leeks, 2 cabbages, several parsnips
: and 2 caulies, yet to head up.
:
: We have used all the frozen up, so I may have to go back to the
: supermarkets,. [sigh]
:
: What are the earliest veg I can grow? Low lying North Staffordshire,
: raised beds and availability of polythene tunnels to cover.

Parsnips are generally the earliest to go in although you won't get anything
worth digging for a good while. What about early pototoes? You can pick
those young and some peas and summer cabbage.

Starting from now? Spinach and baby turnips will be the first to crop
followed by early summer cabbage like Hispi,early carrots, early
caulis and peas. Still time for broadbeans.
Rod

Weed my email address to reply

Old 17-03-2004, 09:05 AM
Martin Sykes

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(Rod) wrote:

baby turnips will be the first to crop

Radish will be even faster

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I've got 'All the Year Round' lettuce in at the moment and they've
germinated in the warm spells between frosts and are growing (very slowly)
at the moment. I imagine if you got them started in autumn then you could be
harvesting them through the winter.

--
Martin & Anna Sykes
( Remove x's when replying )

Old 18-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Max Wright

In message , Martin Sykes
writes
(Rod) wrote:

baby turnips will be the first to crop

Radish will be even faster

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

I've got 'All the Year Round' lettuce in at the moment and they've
germinated in the warm spells between frosts and are growing (very slowly)
at the moment. I imagine if you got them started in autumn then you could be
harvesting them through the winter.

If you like stirfries and/or spicy salads, I'd recommend oriental
mustards such as mizuna, mibuna, komatsuna, green boy or southern giant
- you can sow now and start eating in 5 or 6 weeks (especially if you
can give them some protection). See www.suffolkherbs.com for a good
selection.
--
Max Wright