Old 17-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default rabbits droppings

The message
from "Phil & Diane Martin" contains these words:

My daughter has just a rabbit. I am looking at all the straw we are throwing
out mixed with droppings, does anyone know if we can compost this?

You can.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 17-03-2004, 04:45 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:
"Phil & Diane Martin" wrote in message

My daughter has just a rabbit. I am looking at all the straw we are

throwing
out mixed with droppings, does anyone know if we can compost this?

Remember rabbits are coprophagic so they produce two kinds of dropping.
Both kinds of rabbit dropping should compost but the secondary hard black
type takes much longer.

You don't see the first stage as it is directly ingested for recycling.

Old 17-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Victoria Clare

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote in
:

The message
from "Peter Crosland" contains these words:
"Phil & Diane Martin" wrote in message

I am looking at all the straw we are
throwing
out mixed with droppings, does anyone know if we can compost this?

Remember rabbits are coprophagic so they produce two kinds of
dropping. Both kinds of rabbit dropping should compost but the
secondary hard black type takes much longer.

You don't see the first stage as it is directly ingested for
recycling.

Unless the rabbit is ill, overfed, or (most likely) being fed too much
processed rabbit food rather than grass, hay and bark.

If anyone with a pet rabbit is seeing 'stage 1' soft droppings regularly,
cut back on food and talk to a vet, because those soft droppings lying
around the place can lead to the rabbit getting fly-blown, and you really,
really don't want that.

'Stage 2' hard round droppings make great pelleted plant feed, as well as
compost.

Victoria

Old 17-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:17:19 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

"Phil & Diane Martin" wrote

My daughter has just a rabbit. I am looking at all the straw we are
throwing out mixed with droppings, does anyone know if we can compost
this?

I have wild rabbits in my garden :-(((((
They use very descrete areas to drop their dropping. In those areas the
grass is much greener than elsewhere, so it must be good.

I, too, was plagued with rabbits one year, but they chose a very handy
spot to poo. I'd regularly scoop it up and dig it into the soil.

Old 17-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:17:19 +0000, Broadback

"Phil & Diane Martin" wrote