Old 18-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Steve

Default A warning about scan computers and dvd players

Hello all

I would like to put out a warning that I'm having big problems with a SC
Ellion 520 XVID/DVD Player and I'm having even bigger problems with the
company I bought it from, Scan Computers. Here is a list of problems I have
found with the player.

Fault number 1

When the open draw button the dvd player will freeze, the only remedy for
this is a mains reset. This fault is an intermittent fault which may only
occur once over a 2 or 3 day period.

Fault number 2

This is an mp3 fault; the player will play an mp3 disc with no problem,
until I press the shuffle button. Which results in the system locking up,
and again a mains reset is needed.

Fault number 3

I have made a number of dvd films, and have had great problems getting this
player to play them back. The first dvd's I purchased would not play at all,
I put this down to the dvd's and purchased some Memorex dvd's both formats
write once and re-writeable. These at least did start to play, but would
jump and freeze while playing. Next I purchased some datasafe rw dvd's, and
some datasafe write once and these had the same problem as the Memorex dvd'
s.

I have returned the player to Scan Computers, they said that when they
tested the player, they could not find a problem ! and now want to charge me
for there testing and P+P. all I wanted was a replacement. The office of
fare trading is now involved on my behalf. but scan are now not replying to
emails ! who knows if I will ever see this unit again ?

I have purchased many other items from scan with no problems, it seems that
when you try to return something this is where the problems start.

Anyone else had any problem with this player or scan computers ?

Regards

Stevie P

Old 18-03-2004, 01:23 PM
Mike

"Steve" wrote in message ...
[...]

Steve.

Have you kept a copy of all letters you have sent to them?

Have you taken a note of the names of the people and the time you spoke to
them on the telephone or across the counter?

Have you detailed to them, as you have here, the faults and given it to them
in writing?

If yes, photo copy them all. Write to Scan Computers outlining your great
dissatisfaction and enclose a copy of your posting to the newsgroup. Write
at the bottom of the letter 'copy to Trading Standards Officer' and 'copy to
the Chairman of Ellion', (if you can find their manufacturer or main dealer)
and copy to your own local Solicitor. Send all copies, that to Scan, the
Trading Standards Officer, Ellion, your own local Solicitor and yourself ,
all by recorded delivery. (Don't open your copy, just keep it handy). State
that the product does not come up to serviceable and useful standard and you
either require your money back or a replacement within 7 days or legal
action will be taken.

The secret is to do it in writing. I had a tussle with Nationwide Building
Society a short while ago and did the above. Received an apology from the
top and a satisfactory reduction in my mortgage. I also had to do the same
with Curries/Dixon's and Hotpoint over an Iron. I received an apology from
the top :-)) (and a replacement iron after the period of their guarantee.)

Good Luck.

Mike

Old 18-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Steve" contains these words:

Hello all

Poster plonked. Thread plonked.
Old 18-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Old 19-03-2004, 11:32 AM
Franz Heymann

"Steve" wrote in message ...

Anyone else had any problem with this player or scan computers ?

No.
You might consider carefully removing some of the components and planting
them to see if they will sprout and produce a replacement unit.

Franz