Old 18-03-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Avena sterilis (Oat) A weed?

I'm madly sowing seeds as usual at this time of the year and trying to
use some I had left over from the HPS orders. I was unable to find
mention of this plant in any of my books but on the Internet I came
across a description and found that it is described as a Class A
noxious weed in some American states. If this is the case why on earth
would anyone go to the trouble of collecting the seeds and sending
them to the HPS to be laboriously packed a few at a time in little
packets? I was hoping I would find that it is an interesting grass
type plant. Is anyone familiar with it? Diana
Old 19-03-2004, 06:17 PM
Spider

Hello Diana'
I have found Avena sterilis in a book (Michael Wright's 'The Complete
Handbook of Garden Plants'). There is no picture, but it is desribed thus:
"Animated Oat, size 60-90 x 30 cm; spikelets and seed-heads in open 30cm
panicles, awns to 6cm long (twist and flex with changes of moisture in
air)." It is an annual grass ("Treat as hardy annuals...").
A perennial Avena is mentioned elsewhere in the same book, under the synonym
Helictotrichon (Avena) sempervirens. Perhaps this synonym will be more
helpful in your research.
There is nothing in either entry (in my book) which suggests aggressive
invasiveness. Try planting it with your fingers crossed! {:-))
Spider

Old 20-03-2004, 11:34 PM

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:40:18 -0000, "Spider"
wrote:

Hello Diana'
I have found Avena sterilis in a book (Michael Wright's 'The Complete
Handbook of Garden Plants'). There is no picture, but it is desribed thus:
"Animated Oat, size 60-90 x 30 cm; spikelets and seed-heads in open 30cm
panicles, awns to 6cm long (twist and flex with changes of moisture in
air)." It is an annual grass ("Treat as hardy annuals...").
A perennial Avena is mentioned elsewhere in the same book, under the synonym
Helictotrichon (Avena) sempervirens. Perhaps this synonym will be more
helpful in your research.
There is nothing in either entry (in my book) which suggests aggressive
invasiveness. Try planting it with your fingers crossed! {:-))
Spider

Hello Spider,
Thank you very much (and the other respondents). I like grasses
therefore I will try growing them on in some big plastic pots I was
going to throw away. It is obviously vigorous as roots are appearing
at the bottom of the 3" pot I sowed them in only a few days ago.
I just love sowing from seed but always do it all too early and run
out of space. Diana

Old 21-03-2004, 09:38 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes

Whether a plant becomes a pest or not depends not only on the plant, but
on the environment. A decorative plant may in some environments escape
from cultivation and play havoc with the ecology or the economy. For
example, Japanese Knotweed, Giant Hogweed, Himalayan Balsam and
_Rhododendron ponticum_ were all introduced to this country as
ornamental plants; they are all now considered weeds. It's quite
possible that a plant is a desirable horticultural object in one country
and a noxious weed in another.

This is very true. In the same way, plants which are generally
considered to be weeds can be welcome and useful in some gardens. I use
comfrey and nettles for composting, mulching, infusions etc., so those
plants are not weeds in my garden. I don't have to plant them or
cultivate them, they grow of their own accord. I clear them from areas
such as vegetable plots, flower beds etc. along with other unwanted
plants, but even there they return as compost etc. In the end there are
only two kinds of plants - natural and cultivated, and gardeners depend
upon both.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.