Old 23-03-2004, 05:34 PM
john Smith

Default Recommend 3ft hedge?

Hello,

can anyone recommend a a hedge that can be kept at 3ft. I'm looking to
create a 42ft long boundary hedge,
and I am looking for ideas. I would like, preferably, an evergreen hedge,
but will consider a semi-evergreen.

I would like the hedge to be interesting, i.e. with flowers/berries, so not
a Buxus.

My house is on a Barrats estate, so from that you should read that the soil
is very poor, and gets slightly
waterlogged after a heavy downpour.

I have logged onto http://www.hedging.co.uk for advice but the choice seems
to vast!!!

Can someone please narrow this down for me.

Additionally has anyone ever dealt with this site.

Thanks in advance

Old 24-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message 2r_7c.292$kO3.36@newsfe1-win
from "john Smith" contains these words:

I would like the hedge to be interesting, i.e. with flowers/berries, so not
a Buxus.

Rosa rugosa?

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-03-2004, 05:20 PM
nambucca

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

can anyone recommend a a hedge that can be kept at 3ft. I'm looking to
create a 42ft long boundary hedge,
and I am looking for ideas. I would like, preferably, an evergreen hedge,
but will consider a semi-evergreen.

I would like the hedge to be interesting, i.e. with flowers/berries, so

not
a Buxus.

My house is on a Barrats estate, so from that you should read that the

soil
is very poor, and gets slightly
waterlogged after a heavy downpour.

I have logged onto http://www.hedging.co.uk for advice but the choice

seems
to vast!!!

Can someone please narrow this down for me.

Additionally has anyone ever dealt with this site.

Thanks in advance

Escallonia
Yellow privet
Eleagnus (variegated )

Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "nambucca" contains these words:

"john Smith" wrote in message
Hello,

can anyone recommend a a hedge that can be kept at 3ft. I'm looking to
create a 42ft long boundary hedge,
and I am looking for ideas. I would like, preferably, an evergreen hedge,
but will consider a semi-evergreen.

Escallonia
Yellow privet
Eleagnus (variegated )

John needs to tell us where he is. Escallonia is not hardy in colder
parts of the country.

Janet

Old 24-03-2004, 05:24 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:27:10 -0000, john Smith wrote:

can anyone recommend a a hedge that can be kept at 3ft. I'm looking to
create a 42ft long boundary hedge,
and I am looking for ideas. I would like, preferably, an evergreen hedge,
but will consider a semi-evergreen.

I would like the hedge to be interesting, i.e. with flowers/berries, so not
a Buxus.

Try flowering quince, Chaenomeles. A hedge of mixed cultivars
might look very nice in the spring. Many are thorny, which is
possibly an added advantage.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada