Old 24-03-2004, 05:22 PM
Emery Davis

Default Anyone identify this plant?

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:32:12 -0000, "Chris Stewart" said:

]
] "James Fidell" wrote in message
] .. .
][]
] It's in bud at the moment and one or two leaves are just starting to
] open. They look like they might be similar to raspberry leaves, but
] until they unfurl I can't be sure. Most of the stems are a burgundy
] red colour, with some of the older (possibly dead) wood turning pale
] brown. There's nothing in the vicinity of the plot that looks similar,
] so I assume these were deliberately planted at some point in the past
] rather than self-seeding and are therefore likely to be some sort of
] fruit-bearing bush.
][]
] Hi James, from the stems I suspect its a Dogwood - Cornus Alba possibly?
] Have a google for an image and see if it matches what you've got.
] Chris S
]
]

Yep, looks just like a Cornus Alba. They lose the nice red color of the
stems if not pruned, going a bit light brown. Looks rather like the one
outside my wall just now.

Prune old stems back to ground, it grows like gangbusters.

-E

P.S. No relation to a similarly named (but much senior urger) also in this
thread.

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
James Fidell wrote:
In article , Emrys Davies
wrote:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

I guess in that case it must have self-seeded somehow. I'd thought it
might be a dogwood, but discarded the idea because there's so much of it
and it seems an odd thing to deliberately plant in a fruit/veg garden.
I guess it only takes one successful plant to have produced all the
others though.

While I think that it is a dogwood, that is conditional on it having
smooth stems. If it has bristly/spiny ones (minor spines only), then
my bet is Japanese wineberry, Rubus Phoeniculatus (or thereabouts).
Treat exactly like a blackberry or logan, and eat the fruits raw;
they are hopeless cooked, but do freeze successfully.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,

Old 24-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:

It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.

http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html

That's what i thought at first, but a close look suggested Rubus.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 24-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from "Emrys Davies" contains these words:
|
| It is a dogwood and I am fairly sure that it is this one.
|
| http://www.bucknur.com/acatalog/product_10177.html
|
| That's what i thought at first, but a close look suggested Rubus.

If so, almost certainly Rubus phoenicolasius.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Nick Maclaren