Old 24-03-2004, 07:44 PM
biscuit

Default Blackthorn hedging

Does anyone know where Blackthorn can be purchased, also please how long it
would take to become established.

---

Old 25-03-2004, 02:35 PM
ned

"biscuit" wrote in message
Does anyone know where Blackthorn can be purchased, also please how

long it
would take to become established.

There is not much to choose from between blackthorn and hawthorn
establishing themselves, but blackthorn will happily propagate itself
via root and seed to give a much denser hedge in the long run.

I should try yellow pages for 'tree and hedge nurseries'.

Of course, if its the berries that you are hoping to harvest, then
that will take several years on bushes that are best left untrimmed.

--
ned

Old 25-03-2004, 02:57 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "biscuit" contains these words:

Does anyone know where Blackthorn can be purchased, also please how long it
would take to become established.

I could probably find you plenty of sloe stones to plant. Otherwise,
find a farmer with blackthorn in his hedges and beg a bundle of
cuttings.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 25-03-2004, 02:58 PM
Spider

Hello Biscuit,
Hopes Grove Native Plants sell blackthorn hedging. 2-3' transplant: 10 for
£7.20 or 50 for £33.00; 3-4' transplant: 10 for £8.90 or 50 for £39.00.
I'm sure Hopes Grove could give you information about establishment times.
Their address is: The Estate Office,
Smallhythe Road,
Tenterden,
Kent, TN30 7LT.
Tel:- 01580 761200 Fax:- 01580 761007

NB: This is just an address, not a recommendation.
Hope it helps.
Spider

Old 25-03-2004, 07:15 PM
biscuit

Thanks everyone - made a note of all replies - I want a good thick hedge -
thought about hawthorne as well. The berries could be useful but it's the
hedge I need.

biscuit wrote in message
Does anyone know where Blackthorn can be purchased, also please how long

it
would take to become established.

---

---

[IBC] Blackthorn/Sloe in US. Robert Kieffer Bonsai 3 18-08-2005 03:04 PM
Blackthorn bulldurham73 United Kingdom 4 20-02-2005 10:09 PM
Beech or Hornbeam for hedging - is there much difference? Plus, holly hedging opinions please! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 24-08-2004 05:32 PM
Prunus spinosa (aka Blackthorn, Sloe) in Tasmania or Victoria Richard Wright Australia 0 20-07-2004 02:15 PM
Blackthorn and sloe crops subbykins{Chrd} United Kingdom 2 28-10-2002 05:27 PM