Old 28-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Ophelia

Default Soil mystery

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "Phil" contains these

words:

Now here's a peculiar thing. Today, the day when the clocks go forward

and
the rugby internationals end and the first day of the year that I reach

for
my garden spade. I nip down to this wooden bunker at the bottom of the
garden, where some of my tools are stored. I haven't been inside this

bunker
since about November. I lift the lid, and find it half full of really

nice
top-soil. I have no idea where it came from. All of my tools are burried
underneath.........I think. Going to find out more tomorrow during an
experimental dig. I think there's about half a ton of earth in there.

Any
ideas? Rats? Badgers? Moles? Wombats?

Assuming the bunker has a solid bottom, I reckon you're harbouring a
carefully concealed dismembered corpse. The soil topping is to mask the
smell. What's worse, the murderer didn't leave your spade behind when
he'd finished.

ROFL

Old 28-03-2004, 10:51 AM
David Hill

It's obvious..
It's kids stealing soil from local gardens and allotments and wanting
somewhere safe to stash it........

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Mike

Going to dig in and explore tomorrow morning. Trembling with
anticipation........mind, I've got some lovely soil for the borders.
If it is a rat.........then it must be huge. Ants.........End of the world
as we know it. Body........nobody missing from the locality.

Phil

WAKEY!! WAKEY!!

'Tomorrow morning' has only got 46 (approx) minutes left. The suspense is
killing.

WHAT WAS IT? ;-))

Old 28-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Phil

Phew...........Just got out of the bath.
There were 12.........that's TWELVE barrow loads of fine sifted top soil in
there. My borders now look great. But, no sign of any wildlife at all.
There's a hole in the side of the bunker adjacent to one of my Dalek compost
heaps and there were a few...just a few scraps of food in there. Other than
that, nothing....not even any worms and because of that, I think I have a
highly industrious mole. Still, there is no mystery behind how he managed to
shift so much earth.............because I still can't find my bloody spade
!!
You can all sleep now :O)
Phil

Old 28-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Mike

Phew...........Just got out of the bath.
There were 12.........that's TWELVE barrow loads of fine sifted top soil

in
there. My borders now look great. But, no sign of any wildlife at all.
There's a hole in the side of the bunker adjacent to one of my Dalek

compost
heaps and there were a few...just a few scraps of food in there. Other

than
that, nothing....not even any worms and because of that, I think I have a
highly industrious mole. Still, there is no mystery behind how he managed

shift so much earth.............because I still can't find my bloody spade
!!
You can all sleep now :O)
Phil

:-(( I owe you a tenner :-((

Old 28-03-2004, 10:38 PM
david taylor

I think its a mole-the hole is much smaller than a rat hole but their runs
are very long they do shift a lot of soil and shovel it out in concentrated
locations.
Moles make mole hills-rats are not known for making hills. A few years ago
in Cheshire I had a lot of trouble with moles. One hill amounted to 2-3
buckets full of soil overnight. We had a rat in our compost heap at the
time(composting cooked food). It seemed to use existing passage ways, under
shed and fence and did not shift much soil at all.
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
[...]

Rats, I'd guess.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Mystery Weed Identified, new mystery weed, Central Ohio Ron Hardin Plant Science 5 21-04-2006 11:23 PM
Soil mystery.......... A thought to ponder on Mike United Kingdom 24 29-03-2004 11:43 AM
Soil mystery Phil United Kingdom 3 27-03-2004 08:16 PM
Soil mystery Phil United Kingdom 0 27-03-2004 08:15 PM
Soil mystery Phil United Kingdom 0 27-03-2004 08:15 PM