Old 07-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Peter Ramm

Default Microwave Steriliser

A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

Any comments?
--
Pete Ramm
LID

Stamp out Spam - See my anti-spam pages:
http://www.spamfreezone.org
Old 08-04-2004, 07:32 AM
JennyC

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

Any comments?
Pete Ramm

I've never tried it but.............
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_soil_wat...635_1382873,00
..html
http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg201.htm

Putting soil microwave sterilize into the google search box will
bring up 1,490 hits about it :~))

Jenny

Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Roland Butter

If anyone in the Telford area wants an old (rusty inside but working)
microwave which'd be ideal for this you're welcome to come take it away.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
redclay

Peter Ramm wrote in message
A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.
Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?
Any comments?
--
Pete Ramm

It will work just fine and yes it will kill off everything which is what you
want. Put the soil in a plastic bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cycle
till the plastic wrap forms a huge bubble. Let it rest till the plastic
resembles a vacuum pack. Remove the plastic, stir and repeat the process.

Old 08-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Franz Heymann

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

Probably no more than are killed by normal steam sterilising.

Franz

Old 08-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Tumbleweed

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

I used to work in a chrysanthemum nursery and the soil was steamed for some
considerable time before new plants were put in, didn't seem to kill
anything they needed. Microwave will heat the soil to the same sort of temp
as steam.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address

Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Peter Ramm

On 8 Apr 2004 14:18:00 +0200, Sara Calm
wrote:

snip
Yes, this is the second time you posted this drivel.
Your memory must be shot old man.

My, my - what a miserable cow you are - are you going short of
something?

Have you always been a ****wit - or have you been practicing - I must
say it's coming along nicely.

Oh, by the way - I can't remember posting this earlier - perhaps you'd
supply a reference.

Old 08-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Peter Ramm

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 23:39:56 +0100, Peter Ramm
wrote:

A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

Any comments?

Many thanks to all - much appreciated - I will pass on your comments.

Old 08-04-2004, 10:36 PM
David Hill

"........... It will work just fine and yes it will kill off everything
which is what you want. Put the soil in a plastic bowl and cover with
plastic wrap. Cycle till the plastic wrap forms a huge bubble. Let it rest
till the plastic resembles a vacuum pack. Remove the plastic, stir and
repeat the process ....."

DON'T put cling film on without punching holes it you can B***er up your
microwave easily doing this.
Lash out on a Pyrex casserole dish with lid about 4 or 5 inches deep, make
sure the soil is moist as it is the water in the soil turning to steam that
is going to cook it.
I give about 3-4 mins a load(Depends on your microwave), and it surprising
how much you can do in an hour, esp. if you have 2 dishes. you just have
time to empty the cooked one and to fill the other one with sieved soil.
With microwaves new for under £30.00 it is by far the most economical way to
sterilize for potting, esp. if you have moles pulling up a load of soil for
you

As you tip the soil, keep it covered with a plastic sack or something
similar and it will carry on cooking for a time.

You can now make a good John Innes compost

The mixes

All ingredients of the main constituents are by volume.

JOHN INNES SEED COMPOST:

The traditional mix for sowing almost any type of seed, with sufficient
nutrient for early development. May also be used for rooting soft cuttings.

2 sterilised Loam
1 Peat
1 Sand
The loam and peat is put through in 9mm (3/8 in) sieve.

For each cubic metre of mix, add

0.6kg ground limestone
1.2kg superphosphate

JOHN INNES CUTTING COMPOST:
1 Loam
2 Peat
1 Sand

No added fertiliser
JOHN INNES POTTING COMPOST No.1:

for pricking out or potting-up young seedlings or rooted cuttings. This
composts has a carefully balanced nutrient content to suit most young
plants.

7 Loam
3 Peat
2 Sand
For each cubic metre of mix, add

0.6kg ground limestone
1.2kg hoof and horn meal
1.2kg superphosphate
0.6kg potassium sulphate

JOHN INNES POTTING COMPOST No.2

for general potting of most house plants and vegetable plants into medium
size pots or boxes. Contains double the amount of nutrient in JI No 1 to
suit established plants.

7 Loam
3 Peat
2 Sand each cubic metre of mix, add

0.6kg ground limestone
2.4kg hoof and horn meal
2.4kg superphosphate
1.2kg potassium sulphate

JOHN INNES POTTING COMPOST No.3

a richer mixture for final re-potting of gross feeding vegetable plants and
for mature foliage plants and shrubs in interior planters or outdoor
containers.

7 Loam
3 Peat
2 Sand
each cubic metre of mix, add

0.6kg ground limestone
3.6kg hoof and horn meal
3.6kg superphosphate
1.8kg potassium sulphate

JOHN INNES ERICACEOUS COMPOST:

2 Loam
1 Peat
1 Sand
To each cubic metre of mix, add
0.6kg flowers of sulphur
1.2kg superphosphate

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 09-04-2004, 02:34 PM
Dcjtee

A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?
Will it kill off "good things" as well as bad?

YES! I have done this for years. The micro organisms soon grow back when the
soil is used.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 09-04-2004, 07:07 PM
Rod

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 22:21:09 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

I give about 3-4 mins a load(Depends on your microwave), and it surprising
how much you can do in an hour, esp. if you have 2 dishes. you just have
time to empty the cooked one and to fill the other one with sieved soil.
With microwaves new for under £30.00 it is by far the most economical way to
sterilize for potting, esp. if you have moles pulling up a load of soil for
you

As you tip the soil, keep it covered with a plastic sack or something
similar and it will carry on cooking for a time.

You can now make a good John Innes compost

At last a sensible use for the microwave ;~}

Rod

Weed my email address to reply
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

A friend of mine is using an old microwave to sterilise soil before
using for cuttings/seeds etc. in his greenhouse.

Is it worth doing?

Any comments?

It is extremely stinky to heat/sterilize soil. If the old m'wave is in
a shed, it should be OK, but I sure wouldn't want to do it in my
kitchen!
Old 18-04-2004, 10:11 AM
david taylor

I used to use a microwave to sterilise soil. Remove worms, damp soil,
plastic tub in tied up polythene bag.
Its easy to spot when the water is boiling-the bag swells up dramatically.
Observe all the time.
The smell is rather like wet soil after rain-not at all offensive. There are
those in our househod who would have noticed if it was.
Good method if you want compost to fill a seed tray, up to 2 litre size pot
etc.