Old 11-04-2004, 12:02 PM
BD

Default Hollow Tine Aerator

Does anyone elese have problems with their hollow tine aerator. I have one
with tines 4" long that become clogged at about 1" from the sharp end. The
cores dont move up the tines and fall out the top. Is it a problem with the
aerator or the types of soil I have got,and is there a solution

Thnaks BD

Old 11-04-2004, 08:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"BD" wrote in message
Does anyone elese have problems with their hollow tine aerator. I

have one
with tines 4" long that become clogged at about 1" from the sharp

end. The
cores dont move up the tines and fall out the top. Is it a problem

with the
aerator or the types of soil I have got,and is there a solution

Why does it matter if the tines are clogged? The aerating holes are
made whether or not the tines are open. As a matter of fact, why are
the tines made hollow at all, except to make the implement cost more?

Franz

Old 11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
BD

Not so.Hollow tining removes cores to remove compaction allowing compacted
soil to take up its space and release carbon dioxide. Hollow tining should
be done every three years whereas solid tining every year,thats why hollow

Old 12-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"BD" wrote in message

[snip]

I don't read or reply to top posters.

Franz

Old 14-04-2004, 03:33 PM
D Russell

"BD" wrote in message
Does anyone elese have problems with their hollow tine aerator. I have one
with tines 4" long that become clogged at about 1" from the sharp end. The
cores dont move up the tines and fall out the top. Is it a problem with

the
aerator or the types of soil I have got,and is there a solution

Thnaks BD

Maybe it's the make of aerator, mine's fine, heavy clay soil, works a treat,
each plug pushes teh last one up, and the third one finally pushes the first
one out the top. Do you wiggle the aerator when you stick it in, it's
s'posed to go in pretty much vertical, or maybe your soil is stony and
trapping pebbles, though that seems very unlikely for each use.

Duncan

Old 14-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Mike Lyle

"D Russell" wrote in message ...
"BD" wrote in message
Does anyone elese have problems with their hollow tine aerator. I have one
with tines 4" long that become clogged at about 1" from the sharp end. The
cores dont move up the tines and fall out the top. Is it a problem with

the
aerator or the types of soil I have got,and is there a solution

Thnaks BD

Maybe it's the make of aerator, mine's fine, heavy clay soil, works a treat,
each plug pushes teh last one up, and the third one finally pushes the first
one out the top. Do you wiggle the aerator when you stick it in, it's
s'posed to go in pretty much vertical, or maybe your soil is stony and
trapping pebbles, though that seems very unlikely for each use.

I must say I've never thought the things worth the trouble or expense
for any ordinary lawn (but I'm not a lawn fan, anyhow). I suppose one
would be justified for some special-purpose patch of grass such as a
bowling-green, or if your lawn really is your hobby, especially where
the outrage of killing the worms is committed; or where there's not
yet a proper layer of topsoil because it's a fairly new garden and you
have to make do with what the builders left. Otherwise, some exercise
with the fork, maybe just before brushing in a loose top-dressing, is
quite good enough, and usually unnecessary anyhow.

Mike.
Old 20-04-2004, 12:06 AM
martin

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:32:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"BD" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

I don't read or reply to top posters.

You just did :-)

Old 20-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:32:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"BD" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

I don't read or reply to top posters.

You just did :-)

There was an implied "except in these terms".

Franz

Old 21-04-2004, 12:10 AM
martin

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:25:02 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"martin" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:32:01 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"BD" wrote in message
.. .

[snip]

I don't read or reply to top posters.

You just did :-)

There was an implied "except in these terms".

no exceptions are allowed :-)