Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Rear-tine or front-tine tiller?

I'm starting a native plant consulting and design business and an Aggie
friend says for me to buy a real good rear-tine tiller as opposed to a
front-tine. I have only had experience with front-tine. The rear-tine
with forward/reverse gears and powered transmissions look like precision
equipment and worth the money invested. =

Any comments?
-- =

J Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
animaux

They are especially necessary in heavy clay soils which are either compacted or
never cultivated before. Yes, for the soils we have in Texas, rear tine is the
desired tiller.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Elliot Richmond

wrote:

I'm starting a native plant consulting and design business and an Aggie
friend says for me to buy a real good rear-tine tiller as opposed to a
front-tine. I have only had experience with front-tine. The rear-tine
with forward/reverse gears and powered transmissions look like precision
equipment and worth the money invested.

I use a heavy-duty front-tine tiller with good results. It is a
Craftsman 5 hp, not that that matters. It has been reliable and
relatively maintenance free. It has forward and reverse gears.
However, the rear-tine tiller is a superior design, in my opinion.
With the front-tine, the tiller tends to climb out of whatever hole it
has dug, while the rear tine tends to dig in. The ads that show
somebody tilling with one hand are more-or-less true for rear-tine
tillers.

On the other hand, for a comparable level of ruggedness and power,
front-tine tillers are much less expensive. I'm not sure why. Since,
at the time I bought my tiller, I was able to horse it around with no
problem, I went for the less expensive front-tine.

Hope this helps.

Elliot Richmond
Freelance Science Writer and Editor
Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Gary Harper

With a front tine tiller you have to lift up on the handles to dig in
harder. With a rear tine, you can press down with your weight to dig in.
Obviously, a rear tine requires less effort on the handler.

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
J Kolenovsky

Well, I went and got a Huskee 6.5 hp deluxe dual direction heavy-duty
rear-tine with a Briggs & Stratton Intek OHV engine. I think it weighs
260 lbs. Was a demo unit and I got a great price.

=

Old 05-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Cliff

I have a front tine and it does good in either areas which have never been
tilled or previously worked areas. I used my son-in-laws rear tine on some
hard ground and found it wanted to walk over the area without doing much
tilling, driven by the tines not the wheels. This was the small Troy built
so weight might have something to do with that. With the front tine I can
control the depth of tilling and the forward speed.

τΏτ - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/reference.html

Old 05-04-2003, 11:10 AM
J Kolenovsky

I could see where the small Troy might do that. I forgot to add I have
dual direction tines. When I put the transmission in forward and the
tines in reverse, it plows like a champ.
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Cliff wrote:
=

[...]

Toro rear tine tiller, 8 hp Kohler engine lou North Carolina 1 24-04-2006 06:55 PM
Statesman Rear tine tiller [email protected] Gardening 0 27-02-2006 10:22 PM
Mantis Tiller Tine Dimensions Stephen Gardening 0 17-08-2005 10:50 PM
snapper rear-tine tiller TS Lawns 2 15-07-2005 09:20 PM
Rear Tine Garden Tillers JB Lawns 1 12-10-2004 01:06 PM