Old 07-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered User

Smile Plants wanted for garden makeover on a shoestring

Hello,

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring budget : )

If anybody has any plants or shrubs they no longer want in their garden or maybe dividing, I am happy to come and collect in the Buckinghamshire or Northamptonshire or Bedfordshire area. I can pay a small amount towards them or can give them a very good home for free : ), please contact me if you have one or maybe more of any of the following plants or something similar : )
Lots of English lavenders as I want to create a small lavender patch!
roses and climbing roses (especially scented ones) : )
a small acer tree
Ivy (for climbing over trellis)
clematis (any colours)
daises
Achillea
geraniums
Iris
lillys
Campanula
rockery boulders and rockery plants
trellis (any condition as I don’t mind giving it a lick of wood stain) : )
Obelisks (wood, willow or wrought iron)
cottage garden flowers or seeds

Also I wandered if anybody knows of any Nurseries or Growers that sell plants, shrubs and flowers cheaper. Ideally in the Buckinghamshire.Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire area but I don’t mind traveling further afield for a real gem!

Thank you for reading, sorry its a bit long, really looking forward to any replies : ) Please send me a personal message or a reply, Thanks so much : )
Old 07-02-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plants wanted for garden makeover on a shoestring

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:08:51 +0000, lilacflower1
wrote:

Hello,

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring
budget : )

Join your local freecycle.
Do a wanted ad.

)

--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 07-02-2011, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

lilacflower1 wrote in
:

You will have to start as we all do on a small budget.
Start small think big, and over the years you will get what you are looking
for.
There are car boot sales and jumble sales you can go to? seed swap?
Have you considered growing a few veg. in your .............
Gardenbanter..........
Old 07-02-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hello,

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring
budget : )

pruned a bit

Mogga suggests joining Freecycle - I'd add to that check to see if
there's a local gardening society near you. That may be a source of
plants though they'd probably expect you to give something in return.

Try chatting to your neighbours. Gardening types will divide a lot of
plants in the spring because they've got too big or need rejuvenating.

You might try offering some of your time to help with the digging in
return for some plants.

Things like obelisks will probably result from someone doing a
makeover themselves but you could try making your own or you might get
by initially using a "wigwam" of bamboo canes which are relatively
cheap.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:46 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacflower1 View Post
Hello,

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring budget : )

If anybody has any plants or shrubs they no longer want in their garden or maybe dividing, I am happy to come and collect in the Buckinghamshire or Northamptonshire or Bedfordshire area.
Remember travel costs can mount up. Bus fares/petrol money can soon be more than the cost of a packet of seeds or a small plant. Lavender self seeds itself so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone locally with spares, roses can be grown from cuttings.

I worry about the word "makeover". Instantly transforming a garden isn't something that can be done on a budget. The most satisfactory gardens grow and develop over a period, they are not installed over a single season. Forgive me if this wasn't what you intended.
__________________

Old 08-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacflower1 View Post
Lots of English lavenders as I want to create a small lavender patch!
roses and climbing roses (especially scented ones) : )
a small acer tree
Ivy (for climbing over trellis)
clematis (any colours)
daises
Achillea
geraniums
Iris
lillys
Campanula
rockery boulders and rockery plants
trellis (any condition as I don’t mind giving it a lick of wood stain) : )
Obelisks (wood, willow or wrought iron)
cottage garden flowers or seeds
Lavenders are easy to grow from seed, so don't waste money buying plants. They also propagate from cuttings easily. Campanulas, daisies, achillea, all straightforward from seed I think.

Roses are mostly grafted, and don't transplant easily as they grow deep roots, so you might have to spend there.

Acers are expensive for a reason - the Japanese ones are mostly grafted. I have transplanted small ones with some success.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , mogga
writes

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring
budget : )

Join your local freecycle.
Do a wanted ad.

Join your local garden societies, grow things from seed.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacflower1 View Post
Hello,

I’m giving my garden a cottage garden makeover, but I’m on a shoestring budget : )
)
Hello,

Thanks so much for all your great advice, Its really very appreciated! I have started to grow lots of annual and biannual plants from seed, and think this is a great idea : ) I've also made my own obelisks from willow, which I'm hoping to grow some sweet pea up this year! Thanks again for your help : )