Old 16-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Ernest Nafkin

Default Found pitchblende in my garden

I think there is a lot of this stuff in my garden, can I keep it foy myself ?

Is pitchblende dangerous for my flowers?
Old 16-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Midlands UK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ernest Nafkin
I think there is a lot of this stuff in my garden, can I keep it foy myself ?

Is pitchblende dangerous for my flowers?
Hmmm.. pitchblende isn`t a very good thing to have around in all honesty, it can contain many different radioactice isotopes and be responsible for Radon gas buildups in homes. it maybe worth getting it checked out by the environmental health agency, they set up a few simple tests (usualy little peices of film in sealed units around your home to detect radiation) and will also take a few samples of what you suspect is pitchblende.
as for your plants, that`s a tough question, edibles would certainly need to be free of any soil before eating (good practice anyway!
you may find that your germination percentage is a little lower than should be due to ionising radiation effecting the DNAs aleales (chromosomes). the plants themselves however will not become inherantly radioacative by simple exposure
get it checked out though, if you`re right, and do nothing about it, it could be cause for concern!
__________________
Say it with Flower, Give her a Triffid
Old 17-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Bob Hobden

"Gary Woods" wrote in message

Before posting a reasoned response, on might care to check the poster's
history on google...

I like the one about the gay Badger biting off his manhood....... now
he's going to make a fortune selling bits of Pitchblende (Uranium oxide.
UOČ) on the net. Well at least he will be able to afford a plastic surgeon.
:-)
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 17-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Mike Lyle

Gary Woods wrote in message . ..
(Ernest Nafkin) wrote:

I think there is a lot of this stuff in my garden

Before posting a reasoned response, on might care to check the poster's
history on google...

Ah, right: the guy's good, isn't he?

Mike.