Old 17-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Toddler and laburnum

"Rosie" wrote in message
I have a toddler and a medium-sized laburnum tree at the back of my

garden,
which seems to produce a lot of seeds.

How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere. Would I

be
best off getting rid of the tree?

(Obviously she isn't left to wander around the garden by herself, but she
does like shoving things in her mouth.)

ROSIE

Seems a shame to get rid of the tree, children grow up quite quickly it
won't be long until warnings to not do things are effective. As to how
poisonous, when young my friend ate loads of them and there was mass panic
he was rushed off to hospital but on arrival sent home (having been sick)
and his mum told "not to worry" he would be fine we were around 3 at a guess
(and yes I just sat there and watched him do it! - I had been told not to
:~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 17-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Emery Davis

]
] How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere. Would I be
] best off getting rid of the tree?
]
] (Obviously she isn't left to wander around the garden by herself, but she
] does like shoving things in her mouth.)
]
] ROSIE
]
]

Rosie,

Read the replies with interest. Just worth noting that Laburnum seeds are also
a choking hazard. A friend's little girl ended in hospital with one lodged in her
throat. (She's fine now.)

We have kids 5 and 7, and Laburnum. They're pretty good about learning what
not to do, safety-wise, so we have (knock on wood) had no problems. That said
as has been pointed out no child is completely reliable! Seems to me life is full
of hazards, Laburnum is less serious than some...

HTH

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Old 17-04-2004, 10:06 PM
kenty ;-\)

Rosie,like most have said it would be a shame to fell the tree.I am not
going to get on my high horse and tell you how to look after your own
children ,I have two and know what a handful & how unpredictable they can
be.Sometimes how many times do you find yourself saying no to a child they
drive you up the wall,and will do things anyway!Someone has said that you
should not allow small child to wander a garden alone,what do you call
small,I have a son he is just walking,I would not let him wander alone,but I
have a 3 1/2 year old daughter who I would allow.Why don`t you plant shrubs
& perennials around the tree making a border so the berries & tree can not
be accessed by kids.You can`t follow kids 24/7 and need piece of mind that
your kids can not do harm to themselves if you turn your back!After all the
garden is supposed to be a place for relaxation & you can`t do that if you
are constantly worrying & following them about.

Thanks Keith,UK.
. ..

Old 17-04-2004, 10:08 PM
Anne Jackson

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

How poisonous are these seeds? They do seem to get everywhere.
Would I be best off getting rid of the tree?

No.

(Obviously she isn't left to wander around the garden by herself,
but she does like shoving things in her mouth.)

It's your job to make sure she doesn't!

I had an acquaintance once who gave very definite answers like yours when it
came to the subject of controlling/teaching children. Both he and his wife
were in their 50's so knew right from wrong and what children should do and
what they should not do.

He and his wife had no children :-))

Well, the difference there would be that I not only had a laburnum tree
in my garden, I also have five children and thirteen grandchildren!

None of them ever attempted to eat laburnum seeds or pods, because
I *made it my job* to educate them as to what was dangerous in the
garden, and what was not!

--
AnneJ
ICQ #:- 119531282