Old 18-04-2004, 12:04 PM
The Grate Denini

Default Greenhouse and Potato advice please

Hello.Its well over a year since I posted on here (no PC,moved house etc
etc).
So-- a couple of questions if I may.
Firstly,where I live now has got a huge amount of land (over 200 acre) and
its great--all mature trees,land for the horses,chickens,rabbits,squirrels
etc etc.
However-- we only have a very small portion for "gardening" so to speak.I
have a little plot and intend putting a greenhouse on it.However--its got to
be a plastic one so I was wondering what the disadvantages might be over
traditional glass.Do they retain heat? Is consendation a problem etc.
Secondly-- I bought some fancy potatoes from Sainsburys the other week
(ayala they called em---nice little things).Anyway they have started
sprouting.
Would I be able to put some in a tub? If so how would I do it?
On this plot--- there is a row of 30 canes --- 15 a side.I intend growing
Sweet Peas up them.Any advice on that score?
Kindest Regards..
den

--
The Grate Denini. 3rd Earl of Harte le Pool

Old 29-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Registered User

Location: ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grate Denini
[...]

__________________
what noise annoys an oyster!?
Old 29-04-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered User

Location: ireland

Quote:
Originally posted by FarmerGiles
Hi Hartlepool,
Advice on planting your spuds from Sainsbury's is dont bother especially if you are going to plant in a greenhouse. I did the very same thing (ref Farmer Giles and potato virus) and the plants were heaving with some disease within a couple of weeks of the leaves appearing. Best to stick to the real seed potato from a good supplier.
Ref the greenhouse, I built a wood frame polythene house 10x13x9 feet high from fence posts and other cheap wood and covered by a poly tunnel plastic off-cut. The house works very well in a protected corner of the field but if I did it again I would give the roof more of a slope cos the condensation sticks to the inside roof and falls in showers when the wind blows. Cheap and nasty but it works well.
Best of luck from an ex pat Geordie in Ireland
what noise annoys an oyster!?