Old 21-04-2004, 04:05 PM

Default potatoes

Hello,

I read here how tyres were ideal for growing potatoes in: they stop
the light getting to the tubers, you pile more up as the plants grow,
etc.

But then someone posted that they were bad because chemicals might
leach out of the rubber.

Now I am confused! Which is right?

I know that the best solution would be to build my own wooden box
around them, if I get round to it.

I have seen wooden barrels in the garden centre about 3 foot high, I
wondered about using those but what about whatever wood treatment they
have used? That too could leach out. Should we be paranoid about all
these things that *might* leach out?

The only thing with these barrels is that they are narrower at the
bottom and widen at the top. You probably would not fit many tubers in
them.

I read here to fill the tyre with newspaper to insulate and to save
soil. I haven't filled the tyre yet because the soil is not high
enough to hold the paper in place and it might blow away. Some
rainwater is collecting in the rim of the tyres. In the water I have
found drowned caterpillars. I am quite surprised because I haven't
seen any live ones eating any of my plants! Where could they have come
from?

There are worms in the water too. They are alive and wriggling. I am
surprised. Don't they need air? Isn't that why they come to the
surface when it rains? I was trying to rescue them because they are
helpful.

Thanks in advance for your advice.