Old 21-04-2004, 04:05 PM
Bella

Default No Show Runner Beans

Hi,

The runner beans that I sowed in jiffy pots have all gone rotten, obviously
I kept them too damp in the greenhouse. I re-sowed a fresh lot at least
twelve days ago keeping them drier and still they refuse to germinate. Am I
sowing too early, or would it be better to wait for warmer weather, sow in
the open ground and pick later maturing beans?

Bella

Old 21-04-2004, 05:07 PM
shazzbat

"Bella" wrote in message
Hi,

The runner beans that I sowed in jiffy pots have all gone rotten,

obviously
I kept them too damp in the greenhouse. I re-sowed a fresh lot at least
twelve days ago keeping them drier and still they refuse to germinate. Am

sowing too early, or would it be better to wait for warmer weather, sow in
the open ground and pick later maturing beans?

Bella

They're not that keen on being waterlogged. I would sow direct into the soil
in a period forecast not to be too wet. Depending where you are I would give
them at least a couple of weeks yet.

Steve

Old 22-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Peter Coddington

"Bella" wrote in message
Hi,

The runner beans that I sowed in jiffy pots have all gone rotten,

obviously
I kept them too damp in the greenhouse. I re-sowed a fresh lot at least
twelve days ago keeping them drier and still they refuse to germinate. Am

sowing too early, or would it be better to wait for warmer weather, sow in
the open ground and pick later maturing beans?

Bella

Hello Bella.
I consider the problem is with the cold and damp conditions in the
greenhouse at night. I planted runner beans in damp compost in pots 12
days ago. Covered them to keep the light out and put them on the window sill
in the house. To day they have all germinated and have grown to a height of
2 to 3 inches. Now uncovered. In about another 7 or 8 days they should be
large enough to put in a cold frame and perhaps put in the ground during the
first week in May
Peter.

---

Old 22-04-2004, 01:06 AM
David Hill

When you say Jiffy pots, do you mean the peat pots or Jiffy 7's
If the latter I would say they were just to wet, they don't like cold and
wet conditions. you could try soaking them over night in warm water then
sowing onto compost that is just damp and cover them with paper or
polythene, they will have taken up enough water to get them growing. When
you see the roots starting to push out of the seed then put them into pots.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 23-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Bella

"David Hill" wrote in message
When you say Jiffy pots, do you mean the peat pots or Jiffy 7's
If the latter I would say they were just to wet, they don't like cold and
wet conditions. you could try soaking them over night in warm water then
sowing onto compost that is just damp and cover them with paper or
polythene, they will have taken up enough water to get them growing. When
you see the roots starting to push out of the seed then put them into
pots.

---
Thanks for all your advice. The pots are fibre, I did as the person who sold
them to me advised and pre-soaked them in warm water before filling them
with seed compost and sowing the bean seeds. I will do as recommended,
bring them in from my cold greenhouse and put them on my kitchen window
sill.
Might it also have something to do with the variety of runner bean, in my
case 'Polestar'?

Bella

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM