Old 30-04-2004, 11:04 AM
Harry Web

Default Rotavating wet ground

How worthwhile is it to rotavate (with a powerdigger rather than the
little tilling type jobbies) if the ground is damp?

In the past, I've been able to do it when the soil have been pretty
dry, but I'm not able to be as choosy this time. Will I just end up
with the machine unable to get through, or are the tines going to goo
up? The ground is a de-weeded allotment recovered from several years
disuse and has been double dug by hand, but the ground needs breaking
up in the top 8" ready for planting.

Thanks.
Old 30-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Bob Hobden

"Harry Web" wrote in message ...
How worthwhile is it to rotavate (with a powerdigger rather than the
little tilling type jobbies) if the ground is damp?

In the past, I've been able to do it when the soil have been pretty
dry, but I'm not able to be as choosy this time. Will I just end up
with the machine unable to get through, or are the tines going to goo
up? The ground is a de-weeded allotment recovered from several years
disuse and has been double dug by hand, but the ground needs breaking
up in the top 8" ready for planting.

Depends on soil type, if you are on sand then it should be OK but if on clay
you will do more damage than improve things. The soil will ball up and clog
up the tynes.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 02-05-2004, 07:07 PM
gary davis

On 4/30/04 6:30 AM, in article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Harry Web" wrote in message ...
How worthwhile is it to rotavate (with a powerdigger rather than the
little tilling type jobbies) if the ground is damp?

In the past, I've been able to do it when the soil have been pretty
dry, but I'm not able to be as choosy this time. Will I just end up
with the machine unable to get through, or are the tines going to goo
up? The ground is a de-weeded allotment recovered from several years
disuse and has been double dug by hand, but the ground needs breaking
up in the top 8" ready for planting.

Depends on soil type, if you are on sand then it should be OK but if on clay
you will do more damage than improve things. The soil will ball up and clog
up the tynes.

Yes, no problem if it is sandy soil but wet clay will form clumps that are
hard to break down and very difficult to work with. My suggestion if it's
clay soil is to wait until it is dry or drier. Or you could experiment,
rotovate part now and a part later when drier. Then you will know for next
time.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM