GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   FAQs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60388-faqs.html)

Pam Moore 02-05-2004 11:07 AM

FAQs

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 22:41:01 GMT, Janet Baraclough..
wrote:

.have you read the weekly help post called abcfor newcomers to
uk.rec.gardening? It will direct you to some useful FAQ's

I have not seen the FAQs for ages. (last one 18/10/03)
I use Free Agent. Any long messages require me to "press enter" but I
have been looking out for the FAQs and not seen them'
Where am I going wrong?

Pam in Bristol

martin 02-05-2004 11:07 AM

FAQs

wrote:

.have you read the weekly help post called abcfor newcomers to
uk.rec.gardening? It will direct you to some useful FAQ's

I have not seen the FAQs for ages. (last one 18/10/03)
I use Free Agent. Any long messages require me to "press enter" but I
have been looking out for the FAQs and not seen them'
Where am I going wrong?

It is posted as abc for newcomers to uk.rec.gardening

I have copied it ..........

For detailed information on this newsgroup you are recommended to
read the charter for uk.rec.gardening at:

http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html

There are a number of FAQ files (answers to Frequently Asked
Questions) which have been put together by the contributors
to this group and are available at:

http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/index.html

If you are new to this group and have a particular question you
want to ask, do take a look at the FAQs first to see if your
question has been covered. The FAQs will usually give a more
comprehensive answer than is possible in a newsgroup article.

Now a little more information about the aims of uk.rec.gardening,
which we would ask you to read whether you are new to newsgroups
or an old hand. Note particularly the request not to post photographs.

Uk.rec.gardening is based in the British Isles for the discussion
of gardening within those islands. Some here are quite experienced
gardeners, others are (or were when they first joined urg) complete
beginners. It is an unmoderated self-help group and is not owned or
dominated by anyone.

If you are a newcomer (newbie) or a "lurker" (someone who reads but
has so far not posted anything), you are invited to introduce
yourself (though don't make it a reply to this thread - start a new
thread). Please do not feel any obligation to do this, but telling us
a little about yourself and, roughly, where you live, will help those
trying to answer your questions to give the best advice. Don't be
afraid of asking a question that you may fear is naive - remember,
we were all beginners once!

Sometimes people feel a little disappointed when they don't get an
answer to a question. There may be several reasons for this, the most
common ones being (1) no-one has the answer, (2) you didn't give a
clue in the subject header what your question was about, and (3) for
some reason the message did not get through. The best thing in the
last situation is to post the message once more. Urglers do try to
respond to new posters and no-one is deliberately ignored.

You may be puzzled by references to "urg" and "urglers". It's simply
an acronym and means this newsgroup and contributors to it!

Contributors from outside the British Isles are not discouraged but,
because this newsgroup is intended to help gardeners in the British
Isles, it should be remembered that all questions and answers should
relate to a climate similar to that found in the British Isles. We
thank you for your cooperation in this.

Here are one or two pointers to help you if you are not familiar with
newsgroups:

(1) NEVER post binaries (photographs or illustrations) in urg. They
will be cancelled automatically by the Usenet watchdogs! The reason
is that many will complain about the length of time taken to download
such files. If you want people to see your photograph then post it on
your own web page and put a message in urg telling people where to
find
it.

(2) When you are replying to a message, it's a good idea to edit down
your quotes (snipping) to the point(s) that you are actually
addressing,
but be sure that you have kept enough in to make it intelligible!

(3) Think out what you want to say and try to make it as concise as
possible. A long message in a busy newsgroup runs the risk of losing
the
attention of readers.

Thank you for reading this and we hope that you will find
uk.rec.gardening a very helpful forum.

Janet Baraclough.. 02-05-2004 08:07 PM

FAQs

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

wrote:

.have you read the weekly help post called abcfor newcomers to
uk.rec.gardening? It will direct you to some useful FAQ's

I have not seen the FAQs for ages. (last one 18/10/03)
I use Free Agent. Any long messages require me to "press enter" but I
have been looking out for the FAQs and not seen them'
Where am I going wrong?

The FAQs themselves never appear here on the newsgroup, they are much
too long and numerous.

The post called "abc for newcomers to urg" appears every Saturday
without fail, and contains a link to the FAQS. If you are using an
offline newsreader, copy and paste the FAQS-link into your internet
browser.

If your newsreader isn't showing you the current abc post, you can
always find it online in www.google/group's archive of urg.

Janet.

Bella 02-05-2004 11:08 PM

FAQs

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in a message:
snip
The post called "abc for newcomers to urg" appears every Saturday
without fail, and contains a link to the FAQS. If you are using an
offline newsreader, copy and paste the FAQS-link into your internet
browser.

If your newsreader isn't showing you the current abc post, you can
always find it online in www.google/group's archive of urg.

---

I found the FAQs in Google Groups last week, but I'm blessed if I could
fiind *anything* about top posting Janet.

Bella

Pam Moore 02-05-2004 11:08 PM

FAQs

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.
Still mystified.

Pam in Bristol

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-05-2004 02:09 AM

FAQs

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.
Still mystified.

It arrives in my downloads every week.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Alan Gould 03-05-2004 07:03 AM

FAQs

In article Yrdlc.64$D9.54@newsfe1-win, Bella
writes
I found the FAQs in Google Groups last week, but I'm blessed if I could
fiind *anything* about top posting Janet.

Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

martin 03-05-2004 09:02 AM

FAQs

On Sun, 2 May 2004 23:46:26 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.
Still mystified.

It arrives in my downloads every week.

Yeah but Pam misoperates a kill file.
I wasted my time finding the last abc .. and reposting it for her. I
won't trouble again.

Jane Ransom 03-05-2004 09:02 AM

FAQs

In article , Pam Moore
writes

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.

Somebody else made the same complaint some time ago.
It had something to do with his/her 'blocks'.
I think she/he was blocking everything over a certain length and the abc
fell into that category. Are you sure one of your blocking rules isn't
doing the same thing as you seem to be the only person not receiving the
abc post?
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Sacha 03-05-2004 10:05 AM

FAQs

Jaques d'Alltrades2/5/04 11:46
co.uk

The message
from Pam Moore contains these words:

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.
Still mystified.

It arrives in my downloads every week.

And mine - every Saturday. From 'sysop' 'abc for newcomers to
uk.rec.gardening
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.rec.gardening.html
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

dave @ stejonda 03-05-2004 11:03 AM

FAQs

In message , Alan Gould
writes
Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

but deprecated in most (all?) guides to usenet

--
dave @ stejonda

martin 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

FAQs

On Mon, 3 May 2004 09:51:12 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Alan Gould
writes
Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

but deprecated in most (all?) guides to usenet

Not both surely? :-)

Some news groups only contain top posted messages, others only bottom
posted messages. It's normal to do what most others do in the group.

Sacha 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

FAQs

martin3/5/04 10:14

wrote:

In message , Alan Gould
writes
Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

but deprecated in most (all?) guides to usenet

Not both surely? :-)

Some news groups only contain top posted messages, others only bottom
posted messages. It's normal to do what most others do in the group.

Normal in this group is bottom posting because it's considered more logical.
Certainly I've seen arguments in groups about top posting, never about
bottom posting!
Some urglers don't bother to answer top posts.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

dave @ stejonda 03-05-2004 11:04 AM

FAQs

In message , martin
writes
wrote:
In message , Alan Gould
writes
Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

but deprecated in most (all?) guides to usenet

NYoets Tboottahl lsy!urely? :-)

Some news groups only contain top posted messages, others only bottom
posted messages. It's normal to do what most others do in the group.

True.

--
dave @ stejonda

martin 03-05-2004 11:05 AM

FAQs

martin3/5/04 10:14

wrote:

In message , Alan Gould
writes
Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

but deprecated in most (all?) guides to usenet

Not both surely? :-)

Some news groups only contain top posted messages, others only bottom
posted messages. It's normal to do what most others do in the group.

Normal in this group is bottom posting because it's considered more logical.

I should have included that :-)

Certainly I've seen arguments in groups about top posting, never about
bottom posting!

Microsoft spit groups are all top posting.

Some urglers don't bother to answer top posts.

and quite correctly :-)

Pam Moore 03-05-2004 12:07 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:50 +0200, martin wrote:

Yeah but Pam misoperates a kill file.
I wasted my time finding the last abc .. and reposting it for her. I
won't trouble again.

Thank you for posting it Martin.
I have never set a killfile and would not know how to!
Large messages ask me to press Enter to retrieve.
Anyone else use FREE AGENT and tell me where I am going wrong?
TAI

Pam in Bristol

VivienB 03-05-2004 12:07 PM

FAQs

On Sun, 02 May 2004 22:10:33 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

As I said, "abc for newcomers" has not appeared on my list since
18/10/03. I have been looking for it.
Still mystified.

Pam in Bristol

Sorry if this is obvious to you - have you somehow marked the thread
to be ignored?

Regards, VivienB

Janet Baraclough.. 03-05-2004 12:07 PM

FAQs

The message Yrdlc.64$D9.54@newsfe1-win
from "Bella" contains these words:

I found the FAQs in Google Groups last week, but I'm blessed if I could
fiind *anything* about top posting Janet.

?? The FAQs ,Frequently Asked Questions, are about garden stuff. If it
was you I mentioned top-posting to, I would probably have directed you
to the abc post for additional posting hints.

Bottom posting is the usual convention in this group; it means posting
in conversational order; questions above, answers/comments below. Some
people ignore habitual top-posters because their back to front
conversation is so disruptive to threads, latecomers can't make sense of
the conversation.

Janet.

MissJuggs 03-05-2004 01:05 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:22:06 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Anyone else use FREE AGENT and tell me where I am going wrong?
TAI

Look at the menus at the top. Under Window, open usenet filters, and
see if you have inadvertently blocked it there.

There is somewhere that you can set the maximum length of messages to
d/l, but I can't find it at the moment. However, if a message is too
long to download, you get the header, and an option to retrieve it.
So I don't think that's it.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.

MissJuggs 03-05-2004 01:05 PM

FAQs

wrote:

Anyone else use FREE AGENT and tell me where I am going wrong?
TAI

Found it now! You can adjust the maximum message length recieved
under groups/default properties/recieved.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.

MissJuggs 03-05-2004 01:05 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:16:19 +0100, MissJuggs
wrote:

groups/default properties/recieved.

that should be Group/default properties/retrieve. Oops.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-05-2004 02:04 PM

FAQs

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:
In article Yrdlc.64$D9.54@newsfe1-win, Bella
writes

I found the FAQs in Google Groups last week, but I'm blessed if I could
fiind *anything* about top posting Janet.

Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

As is bothering to read top-posted replies.

Janet Baraclough.. 03-05-2004 02:04 PM

FAQs

The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

So Top is or alternate bottom word posting posting is but entirely it
optional makes
anywhere reading on newsgroups the awful Internet hard.

Janet.

Mike Lyle 03-05-2004 02:04 PM

FAQs

Alan Gould wrote in message ...
In article Yrdlc.64$D9.54@newsfe1-win, Bella
writes
I found the FAQs in Google Groups last week, but I'm blessed if I could
fiind *anything* about top posting Janet.

Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

Of course it is: we couldn't dictate our preferred styles to anybody
even if we wanted to. But life is certainly a lot easier if we stick
to any particular group's usual practice. Even if one wants to
top-post in a bottom-posting group, one will get more out of the
discussion by resisting the urge. It's no trouble to me to stand on
one side or another of an escalator, so why should I inconvenience
others, and myself, by not going with the majority?

Mike.

VivienB 03-05-2004 03:09 PM

FAQs

wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:50 +0200, martin wrote:

Yeah but Pam misoperates a kill file.
I wasted my time finding the last abc .. and reposting it for her. I
won't trouble again.

Thank you for posting it Martin.
I have never set a killfile and would not know how to!
Large messages ask me to press Enter to retrieve.
Anyone else use FREE AGENT and tell me where I am going wrong?
TAI

Pam in Bristol

Pam, the headers say you are using Agent (rather than Free Agent).
This is important because the Free version does not have all the
functions the paid-for full version does.

The comments which follow are based on what happens in my Agent 1.9.
(I know the 'Help' in Agent is in techie-speak, or I would suggest you
try using it).

If the thread is set to be 'ignored' (ie no more messages to be
downloaded in that thread) it should have a 'no entry' type red symbol
beside the subject line in the message list. This is added or removed
easily using the button at the top of the window.

Limitations on the length of messages downloaded are in the newsgroup
properties. To see these, right-click the newsgroup name in your list
of subscribed groups, then click on Properties, which is at the top of
the menu which appears.

HTH

Regards, VivienB

Pam Moore 03-05-2004 03:09 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:17:11 +0100, MissJuggs
wrote:

that should be Group/default properties/retrieve.

Thanks Martin.
No Usenet filters set.
BUT message length set at 100. Either the original default or the way
my son set it. I'm wiser now! Being partially sighted doesn't help.

Pam in Bristol

Pam Moore 03-05-2004 04:11 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 14:32:27 +0100, VivienB
wrote:

Pam, the headers say you are using Agent (rather than Free Agent).
This is important because the Free version does not have all the
functions the paid-for full version does.

Thanks Vivien
Oh dear, I am showing my ignorance here. I always thought I was using
Free Agent but it is not!! (Again I blame my son. He sets these
things up for me, comes and fiddles and doesn't tell me what he's
done!)
I will struggle my way through the Help files if I have further
problems before making a fool of myself.
I'll shut up now!

Pam in Bristol

Jaques d'Alltrades 03-05-2004 05:05 PM

FAQs

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Normal in this group is bottom posting because it's considered more logical.
Certainly I've seen arguments in groups about top posting, never about
bottom posting!
Some urglers don't bother to answer top posts.

Here, (on this computer) they're usually deleted unread.

martin 03-05-2004 05:05 PM

FAQs

wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 09:36:50 +0200, martin wrote:

Yeah but Pam misoperates a kill file.
I wasted my time finding the last abc .. and reposting it for her. I
won't trouble again.

Thank you for posting it Martin.

I am pleased you received it :-)

I have never set a killfile and would not know how to!

I thought you were killing on file length.

Large messages ask me to press Enter to retrieve.
Anyone else use FREE AGENT and tell me where I am going wrong?
TAI

I use the real thing Agent 2.0 . In Options
INBOUND MAIL
"checking for e-mail" there is an option to ignore anything over a
certain size. I guess that there is something similar in Free Agent.

martin 03-05-2004 06:04 PM

FAQs

wrote:

that should be Group/default properties/retrieve.

Thanks Martin.

Thank the lady with the Juggs.

No Usenet filters set.
BUT message length set at 100.

change it to something big like 9999999999999999

Either the original default or the way
my son set it. I'm wiser now! Being partially sighted doesn't help.

sorry to here that.

martin 03-05-2004 06:04 PM

FAQs

On Mon, 03 May 2004 15:19:29 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Pam you have a very old version of Agent, you can upgrade to Agent
1.93 free, or even to Agent 2.0 for about USD15. Agent 2.0 has better
dictionaries and spell checker otherwise there's not much new.

Alan Gould 03-05-2004 08:03 PM

FAQs

In article , Janet Baraclough.
.. writes
The message
from Alan Gould contains these words:

So Top is or alternate bottom word posting posting is but entirely it
optional makes
anywhere reading on newsgroups the awful Internet hard.

Yes top and bottom postings are alternative to each other.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

gp 03-05-2004 11:08 PM

FAQs

Alan Gould wrote:

Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

Top posting is used by those who couldn't be bothered to format their
messages. Top posting is counter intuitive. Top posting is nasty.

Rhiannon S 04-05-2004 12:03 PM

FAQs

Subject: FAQs
From: (gp)
Date: 03/05/2004 22:14 GMT Daylight Time
Alan Gould wrote:

Top or bottom posting is entirely optional anywhere on the Internet.

Top posting is used by those who couldn't be bothered to format their
messages. Top posting is counter intuitive. Top posting is nasty.

Top posting will cause R'yleh to rise...
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

gary davis 13-05-2004 05:18 AM

FAQs

I can relate to that...oops.

Janet Baraclough.. 13-05-2004 10:08 PM

FAQs

The message
from gary davis top-posted these words:

I can relate to that...oops.

You're new to the internet, we can tell.

No doubt you see many nuisance posts to this group; regular posters
who are endlessly rude or abusive to others, or decline to conform to
netiquette. Some of them may even maliciously encourage you to do the
same. To the beginner, such posts may create the impression that
anything goes here and any degree of discourtesy is patiently tolerated
by gardening posters.

That would be a serious mistake. Experienced usenetters use a
killfile, a simple click of the mouse on a name, which means that their
newsreader automatically deletes all messages from that nuisance, and we
simply never see them.

Janet

Jaques d'Alltrades 14-05-2004 11:06 AM

FAQs

The message
from martin contains these words:
wrote:
The message
from gary davis top-posted these words:

I can relate to that...oops.

You're new to the internet, we can tell.

No doubt you see many nuisance posts to this group; regular posters
who are endlessly rude or abusive to others, or decline to conform to
netiquette. Some of them may even maliciously encourage you to do the
same. To the beginner, such posts may create the impression that
anything goes here and any degree of discourtesy is patiently tolerated
by gardening posters.

That would be a serious mistake. Experienced usenetters use a
killfile, a simple click of the mouse on a name, which means that their
newsreader automatically deletes all messages from that nuisance, and we
simply never see them.

LOL!

Tell me if you think that's not true! There are several who post here
whose posts I never see. These include habitual top-posters. In my
estimation, anyone who persistently top-posts in a group in which
bottom-posting is the norm will have very little of intelligence to
contribute, and I CBA to go scrolling up and down looking for the input.

martin 14-05-2004 11:08 AM

FAQs

wrote:
The message
from gary davis top-posted these words:

I can relate to that...oops.

You're new to the internet, we can tell.

No doubt you see many nuisance posts to this group; regular posters
who are endlessly rude or abusive to others, or decline to conform to
netiquette. Some of them may even maliciously encourage you to do the
same. To the beginner, such posts may create the impression that
anything goes here and any degree of discourtesy is patiently tolerated
by gardening posters.

That would be a serious mistake. Experienced usenetters use a
killfile, a simple click of the mouse on a name, which means that their
newsreader automatically deletes all messages from that nuisance, and we
simply never see them.

LOL!

Tell me if you think that's not true!

I LOLled at one of the pots calling the kettles black.

There are several who post here
whose posts I never see. These include habitual top-posters. In my
estimation, anyone who persistently top-posts in a group in which
bottom-posting is the norm will have very little of intelligence to
contribute, and I CBA to go scrolling up and down looking for the input.

Are there parallel universes consisting of urg top posters, urg bottom
posters and those who have a fair percentage of regular posters in
their kill files? There certainly seems to be judging from the number
of times the same question is answered identically.

Anthony Anson 14-05-2004 07:10 PM

FAQs

The message
from martin contains these words:

Are there parallel universes consisting of urg top posters, urg bottom
posters and those who have a fair percentage of regular posters in
their kill files? There certainly seems to be judging from the number
of times the same question is answered identically.

Probably. You can never tell the religion of a poster until he/she replies....

--
Tony http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

God sends the meat, the Devil sends the cooks.