GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tarragon - does it regrow from roots? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/60505-tarragon-does-regrow-roots.html)

Sarah Dale 03-05-2004 07:05 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Hi All,

I had a couple of tarragons in pots last year, and left them outside over
winter. They looked very dead this spring, but I noticed this weekend, that
one is showing signs of regrowth on top of the original roots, and in the
larger pot I have what looks like a baby tarragon plant about 6 inches from
where the original was.

Do they regrow from the roots? Or have I got tarragon shaped weeds?

TIA,

Sarah

Diane Epps 03-05-2004 07:05 PM

"Sarah Dale" wrote in message
Hi All,

I had a couple of tarragons in pots last year, and left them outside over
winter. They looked very dead this spring, but I noticed this weekend,

that
one is showing signs of regrowth on top of the original roots, and in the
larger pot I have what looks like a baby tarragon plant about 6 inches

from
where the original was.

Do they regrow from the roots? Or have I got tarragon shaped weeds?

TIA,

Sarah

I have two tarragon plants one in the greenhouse and one outside they both
regrow from the roots but I think I am lucky as I live in the south east and
it is relatively mild here.

Sacha 03-05-2004 08:04 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Sarah Dale3/5/04 10:01

Hi All,

I had a couple of tarragons in pots last year, and left them outside over
winter. They looked very dead this spring, but I noticed this weekend, that
one is showing signs of regrowth on top of the original roots, and in the
larger pot I have what looks like a baby tarragon plant about 6 inches from
where the original was.

Do they regrow from the roots? Or have I got tarragon shaped weeds?

TIA,

Sarah

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-) They die down in winter like many
herbs (not all) and re-shoot in spring/summer. What you need to be sure of
is that they are not water-logged and that if it rains the pots can drain
(put them on feet or bricks) *and* that they're in a sunny place. If they've
been badly frosted you might be unlucky. But with luck, you have new
tarragon though it will take a while to be sure. Best test - does rubbing
the leaves give any indication of tarragon scent on your fingers?
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Nick Maclaren 03-05-2004 08:04 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

In article ,
Diane Epps wrote:

I have two tarragon plants one in the greenhouse and one outside they both
regrow from the roots but I think I am lucky as I live in the south east and
it is relatively mild here.

It is quite happy here, and it is not mild by the standards of the
south of England! As Sacha says, that is precisely how it grows.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Kay Easton 03-05-2004 11:08 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sacha 04-05-2004 12:12 AM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Kay Easton3/5/04 8:19

In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

But you cut out my next sentence: "They die down in winter like many
herbs (not all)"
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Rhiannon S 04-05-2004 12:03 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Subject: Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?
From: Kay Easton
Date: 03/05/2004 20:19 GMT Daylight Time
In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

Well, that's where you go to sell junk and is active all year round...Oh wait I
thought you said Ebay!
--
Rhiannon
http://www.livejournal.com/users/rhiannon_s/

martin 04-05-2004 12:04 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

On 04 May 2004 10:16:31 GMT, emon (Rhiannon S)

From: Kay Easton

Date: 03/05/2004 20:19 GMT Daylight Time
In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

Well, that's where you go to sell junk and is active all year round...

or just to watch?

Steve Harris 04-05-2004 04:11 PM

(Sacha) wrote:

Best test - does rubbing
the leaves give any indication of tarragon scent on your fingers?

IME, at this time of year, you may not find any flavour/argon. I think
they need more sun.

A useful bit of gardening software at
http://www.netservs.com/garden/

Sacha 04-05-2004 05:12 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Steve Harris4/5/04 3:00

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Best test - does rubbing
the leaves give any indication of tarragon scent on your fingers?

IME, at this time of year, you may not find any flavour/argon. I think
they need more sun.

This made me wonder so I went out and tested some of ours in pots. It
definitely smells tarragon-y if rubbed hard enough. But it isn't actually
releasing much scent into the air, I agree.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay Easton 04-05-2004 07:06 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

In article , Sacha
writes
Kay Easton3/5/04 8:19
@scarbo ro.demon.co.uk

In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

But you cut out my next sentence: "They die down in winter like many
herbs (not all)"

Ah, but bay is a herb but not herbaceous ..that is what I was responding
to.

I nearly went back and added 'and what about chives?' ;-)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Sarah Dale 04-05-2004 11:09 PM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Sacha wrote:

Steve Harris4/5/04 3:00

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Best test - does rubbing
the leaves give any indication of tarragon scent on your fingers?

IME, at this time of year, you may not find any flavour/argon. I think
they need more sun.

This made me wonder so I went out and tested some of ours in pots. It
definitely smells tarragon-y if rubbed hard enough. But it isn't actually
releasing much scent into the air, I agree.

Thanks to all for your responses. The plant that has resprouted *looks* like
tarragon, but didn't scent the air that much, or taste much of anything, so
I wasn't sure - it's the first year I have managed to keep tarragon over
winter, so its a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully some sunshine and more
growth, and it will be ready to eat!

Thanks, Sarah

Sacha 05-05-2004 12:04 AM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Kay Easton4/5/04 6:48

In article , Sacha
writes
Kay Easton3/5/04 8:19

In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

But you cut out my next sentence: "They die down in winter like many
herbs (not all)"

Ah, but bay is a herb but not herbaceous ..that is what I was responding
to.

Hence my "not all"...

I nearly went back and added 'and what about chives?' ;-)

What about them? You've lost me.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)

Sacha 05-05-2004 12:04 AM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

Sarah Dale4/5/04 10:41

Sacha wrote:

Steve Harris4/5/04 3:00

In article ,
(Sacha) wrote:

Best test - does rubbing
the leaves give any indication of tarragon scent on your fingers?

IME, at this time of year, you may not find any flavour/argon. I think
they need more sun.

This made me wonder so I went out and tested some of ours in pots. It
definitely smells tarragon-y if rubbed hard enough. But it isn't actually
releasing much scent into the air, I agree.

Thanks to all for your responses. The plant that has resprouted *looks* like
tarragon, but didn't scent the air that much, or taste much of anything, so
I wasn't sure - it's the first year I have managed to keep tarragon over
winter, so its a bit of a learning curve. Hopefully some sunshine and more
growth, and it will be ready to eat!

At this time of year the best bet is "if in doubt, let it grow but keep an
eye on it"! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay Easton 05-05-2004 01:07 AM

Tarragon - does it regrow from roots?

In article , Sacha
writes
Kay Easton4/5/04 6:48
@scarbo ro.demon.co.uk

In article , Sacha
writes
Kay Easton3/5/04 8:19

In article , Sacha
writes

They're herbs, hence herbaceous. ;-)

Explain bay ;-)

But you cut out my next sentence: "They die down in winter like many
herbs (not all)"

Ah, but bay is a herb but not herbaceous ..that is what I was responding
to.

Hence my "not all"...

But you didn't say not all in
They're herbs, hence herbaceous.

.. that was an absolute statement ;-)

I nearly went back and added 'and what about chives?' ;-)

What about them? You've lost me.

They're herbs, but not herbaceous.
Not all herbs are herbaceous.
--