Old 04-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Default Cucumber - Burpless Tasty Green F1 - Virus?

Hi all - I grew some cucumber seeds from Mr Fothergills called Burpless Tasty Green F1 this year.

They were grow indoors and still are indoors as the temperatures here in London are still a bit low.

They are all now about 6 Inches high, with two true leaves developed so far.

All 5 of the plants look very healthy. However the two first leaves that grew have got yellow spots on them. The spots are light yellow in colour and are only visable in the 1st two leafs. The true leafs dont have any spots and are quite big.

Is this common among cucumber plants or have mine got some sort of virus or disease. If so is there a cure or are they all doomed?

I hope someone can help - Many thanks in advance
Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"dommy" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi all - I grew some cucumber seeds from Mr Fothergills called Burpless
Tasty Green F1 this year.

They were grow indoors and still are indoors as the temperatures here
in London are still a bit low.

They are all now about 6 Inches high, with two true leaves developed so
far.

All 5 of the plants look very healthy. However the two first leaves
that grew have got yellow spots on them. The spots are light yellow in
colour and are only visable in the 1st two leafs. The true leafs dont
have any spots and are quite big.

Is this common among cucumber plants or have mine got some sort of
virus or disease. If so is there a cure or are they all doomed?

I hope someone can help - Many thanks in advance

I think they may have been too damp when germinating and got a bit of rot in
the seed leaves.

Should be O.K. now (hopefully).

Saw similar in my courgettes, and most did not germinate.

However, the cucumbers did fine for some reason.

HTH
Dave R

Old 04-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Bob Hobden

--

That's the one I've grown in the past on the allotments. I wouldn't worry
about it myself, cucurbits often have damaged/missformed seed leaves in my

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 04-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hobden
"dommy" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for your replies David and Bob. Hopefully should be ok now then.

Bob what do you recommend for them to climb on? Need something low tech and cheap, possibly homemade?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Bob Hobden

"dommy" wrote in message
Bob what do you recommend for them to climb on? Need something low tech
and cheap, possibly homemade?
--

I use a wigwam of new stout canes tied strongly at the top and then wrapped
in pea netting, I tie them onto those at first so they can continue to