Old 06-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Michael Savage

Default sticky traps and birds

Hi all

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious but here goes...

I've cut up yellow sticky traps to smaller pieces, fixed them on plant
labels and pushed them into various pots around the greenhouse.

Last week I out some trays of pots out to harden off. We popped out for a
bit and when we came back I was amused to see a coal tit pecking insects off
one of the sticky traps - and then realised it wasn't, it was pecking to try
and get free. It had become stuck by a leg and a wing. I was able to free it
easily enough, and despite having a primary feather damaged it seemed to be
OK if a bit stunned, but if we'd been out for longer or one of the many
local cats had got to it it wouldn't have been.

So I've learnt a lesson - hope someone finds it useful too.

Michael S

Old 06-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 6 May 2004 14:15:34 +0100, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

I've cut up yellow sticky traps to smaller pieces, fixed them on plant
labels and pushed them into various pots around the greenhouse.

Last week I out some trays of pots out to harden off.

I guess they are only intended ror use inside. Outdoors could catch
bees, butterflies etc. as well as birds!

Pam in Bristol