Old 07-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Kate Morgan

Default Itea Ilicifolia

I have a 3year old Itea which up till now has been growing well and
seemed to be happy, it is in a wide border in sunshine and neutral
soil.I mulched the whole bed with 3 year old rotted horse manure at the
beginning of the year, I am wondering if this was the problem altho it
hasnt bothered any other plants.The leaves are a bit yellow and they are
dry.

kate
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Juggs

On Fri, 7 May 2004 21:49:05 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

I have a 3year old Itea which up till now has been growing well and
seemed to be happy, it is in a wide border in sunshine and neutral
soil.I mulched the whole bed with 3 year old rotted horse manure at the
beginning of the year, I am wondering if this was the problem altho it
hasnt bothered any other plants.The leaves are a bit yellow and they are

I don't know what variant you have, but this URL:

http://www.onla.org/ps_01itea.html

likes neutral to acid soil. Manure is great, but it is slightly
alkaline. Yellow leaves, if you take this hypothesis would indicate a
need for iron or magnesium, the intake of which is limited (if I get
this right) in alkaline soils.

You might try throwing an ericaceous fertlizer at it, or just getting
some chelated iron and watering that in.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.
Old 07-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Juggs

wrote:

I have a 3year old Itea which up till now has been growing well and
seemed to be happy, it is in a wide border in sunshine and neutral
soil.I mulched the whole bed with 3 year old rotted horse manure at the
beginning of the year,

Now that I took the time to look at the head threader, I did a search
on ilia ilicifolia.

http://www.biologie.uni-ulm.de/systa...logie/itea.htm

which indicates that it is tolerant of all pHs. So my previous post
is probably wrong.

How is the yellowing happening? That can give clues.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Kate Morgan

How is the yellowing happening? That can give clues.

Glenys

Your link was the right plant Glenys, I have looked in my gardening
books and there is not a great deal of information, the problem could be
lots of thing`s from too dry too wet too hot too cold :-) The leaves are
yellowing from the tip curling slightly and very brittle.

kate
Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Juggs

On Sat, 8 May 2004 09:49:07 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

Your link was the right plant Glenys, I have looked in my gardening
books and there is not a great deal of information, the problem could be
lots of thing`s from too dry too wet too hot too cold :-) The leaves are
yellowing from the tip curling slightly and very brittle.

If the only thing you have done differently is add manure, my
instincts would be to look there for the answer.

Glenys

--
Semen is an anti-depressant.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Kate Morgan

Your link was the right plant Glenys, I have looked in my gardening
books and there is not a great deal of information, the problem could be
lots of thing`s from too dry too wet too hot too cold :-) The leaves are
yellowing from the tip curling slightly and very brittle.

If the only thing you have done differently is add manure, my
instincts would be to look there for the answer.

Glenys

yes that was my thought too. Manure overload if there is such a thing

cheers kate