Old 13-05-2004, 09:09 PM
tuin man

Default Recommended hand tools

"VivienB" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 May 2004 20:52:33 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

Like the potato fork, the mushroom fork has cupped tines also blunted at

the
ends, but far fewer. And an fairly similar volume capacity. Quite a

large
bite actually, which is why it's good for compost heaps. Imagine you want

hold some water in your hands. Your thumbs will lie above the finger

level.

Thank you for that - your description 'paints the picture' very well.
I won't be around Dublin, but I shall have a look in the hardware
stores and farm co-ops in the smaller towns we do visit.

Regards, VivienB

Ok, info ....
I actually have the Ames-True Temper catalogue
There are a bit more than 7 spades....19 to chose from to be exact and 25
different forks
Alas, their web site sucks.
To add to the confusion, True temper is now a generic term. So you can have
a Darby spade called a Darby True Temper (TT) spade.
There's Home owner TT,
Gardener TT
Ames landscaper
Comfort plus TT
& Darby TT, which gets closest to what I have.

I have found something quite similar to the mush/beet fork on DoitBest.com
http://doitbest.com/shop/dept.asp?ms...&dept%5Fid=105
Scroll down to; hay fork scoop fork and then down to; Ensilage Fork ... To
me it looks like a short handled version of the potato fork.
Just imagine it with a long handle and 6 tines instead.
The 2nd manure fork on that page is closest to what I called a dung fork.
There are short handled ones also (compost fork)
On the Ames-tt catalogue, its description is

C/S 6 tine beet fork,

122cm/48" where length is not whole length, but from shoulder to top of
handle.
(product number F 305 DLH) sold in packs of 6 from the Whites Cross, Cork
address. No price given.
Mine is 158 cm in total, The tines are 8mm in diameter, 6 of them within a
30 cm breath, at intervals of around 7 cm and 40 cm long. The scoop is about
9cm deep and the tines are oval. (actually flat on the sides and rounded in
front + back, but more round at back..... might be from use)
The weight I don't know, but not light.

There is an Ames True temper LTD. UK, but all I have is a phone number.
By all means, e-mail me if you want it.

Patrick

Old 14-05-2004, 01:07 PM
VivienB

On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:37:35 +0100, "tuin man"
wrote:

[...]

You are very kind to take so much trouble finding out all this for me.
Armed with this much information, I am sure I will have a most
interesting time (I love looking round what is on offer in such
places). It is always of great interest to know what a professional
gardener uses, since you guys have to work much longer and usually
faster, so show up any pros and cons much quicker.

If something looks right, I shall see if it feels right in my hands -
what suits one physique does not always suit another.

Regards, VivienB
Old 28-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Registered User

Thanks for info..........