Old 10-05-2004, 04:19 PM
VivienB

Default Gardens and garden centres/nurseries in Ireland

Do you know any good gardens or places to buy plants in the Republic?

At the end of May, I shall be touring in a motorcaravan with my
father, arriving at Rosslare and most probably moving along the south
coast then up the West coast. We have been to Ireland many times
before and I always like to see whether I can get a good plant or two
that is not so common here.

Unfortunately, my father is one of those drivers who demands lots of
prior warning that a stop is going to be expected, so just seeing a
place as we go along doesn't work! One added problem for us is the
size of the vehicle - so many places in Ireland have height barriers
we cannot pass. The other problem for garden visiting is that my
father has to use either a wheelchair or an electric scooter (which we
have with us) so steep slopes or deep gravel on paths are no-no's.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards, VivienB
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Cerumen

"VivienB" wrote in message
news
Do you know any good gardens or places to buy plants in the Republic?
snip
I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards, VivienB

There are many places around this part of Ireland that might suit your
needs, although it rather depends what you mean by "deep gravel" as gravel
seems the ground cover of choice in many garden centres.
However I can think of three within a small radius of me that might be
suitable. Email me if you wish further details.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork

Old 10-05-2004, 10:08 PM
Hugh Chaloner

VivienB wrote:

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

there are a good number of mediocre garden centres in the Dublin area,
and some lovely gardens in the West.

have a look at

http://www.westcorkgardentrail.com/

hc

--
www.magic-hush.com | email on website
Old 12-05-2004, 01:09 AM
Hugh Chaloner

VivienB wrote:

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Regards, VivienB

http://westcorkgardentrail.com/

It happens in 12-27 June

hc

--
www.magic-hush.com | email on website
Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 PM
shazzbat

"VivienB" wrote in message
news
Do you know any good gardens or places to buy plants in the Republic?

At the end of May, I shall be touring in a motorcaravan with my
father, arriving at Rosslare and most probably moving along the south
coast then up the West coast. We have been to Ireland many times
before and I always like to see whether I can get a good plant or two
that is not so common here.

Unfortunately, my father is one of those drivers who demands lots of
prior warning that a stop is going to be expected, so just seeing a
place as we go along doesn't work! One added problem for us is the
size of the vehicle - so many places in Ireland have height barriers
we cannot pass. The other problem for garden visiting is that my
father has to use either a wheelchair or an electric scooter (which we
have with us) so steep slopes or deep gravel on paths are no-no's.

I would strongly recommend the John F Kennedy memorial gardens/arboretum in
Co wexford. Googling brings loads of sites, I'm not sure which is the
official one.

Steve

Old 13-05-2004, 01:04 PM
VivienB

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:32:58 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

I would strongly recommend the John F Kennedy memorial gardens/arboretum in
Co wexford. Googling brings loads of sites, I'm not sure which is the
official one.

We know it - we usually use the car park up the hill across the road
from the main entrance, as a nice place with a wonderful view to stop
for a cuppa.

I was thinking more of gardens as such, though - the arboretum is more
of a park. Or have they added a larger garden area recently? We don't
normally go into the area round the buildings.

Regards, VivienB
Old 13-05-2004, 02:09 PM
shazzbat

wrote:

I would strongly recommend the John F Kennedy memorial gardens/arboretum

in
Co wexford. Googling brings loads of sites, I'm not sure which is the
official one.

We know it - we usually use the car park up the hill across the road
from the main entrance, as a nice place with a wonderful view to stop
for a cuppa.

I was thinking more of gardens as such, though - the arboretum is more
of a park. Or have they added a larger garden area recently? We don't
normally go into the area round the buildings.

I would. We have only visited in March (1999), but I got the distinct
impression a visit in summer would be worthwhile. We went up the hill
afterwards as an afterthought. It was also well worth it and I loved the
winding road up there. Well it was free of traffic in March. There were
three cars in the car park including ours:-)

Steve