Old 12-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Lelandi problem (sort of!)

Kay Easton wrote in
:

I was thinking a nice ornamental crabapple instead might be just the
job ?

Variety is the spice of life. Have you ever looked at a 60's estate
with what I recall being described on Gardener's Question Time as
Prunus bloody ****ardii in nearly every garden?

No, I'm too young to remember a 60's estate as uniform! ;-p

But there's a big estate near Leicester which my parents called the 'Estate
of Kilmarnock Willows'

Rowan, hawthorn, hazels, decorative cherries, real apple trees...? All
much more neighbour-acceptable than leylandii.

I'll give you ashes though - gorgeous trees that neighbours hate! (just
stop seeing it as a seedling-generator for a moment and look...)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall
Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I'll give you ashes though - gorgeous trees that neighbours hate! (just
stop seeing it as a seedling-generator for a moment and look...)

I still hate it! Great, overgrown coarse-looking thing!
I could never understand why people call rowan 'mountain ash' until I
saw the two side by side on Whernside - in that environment they both
had the silver gray bark and the same growth habit and looked very
similar indeed.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 12-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Kay Easton

In article . 24,
Victoria Clare writes

The nicest thing about birches is their fine dappled shade -

The downside is their habit of dropping 6ft long twigs everywhere! We
scoop up loads of these all the year round.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 12-05-2004, 11:23 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article ,

Victoria
Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

Am I the only person who likes trees in towns? It's OK for you

country
dwellers with your huge or isolated gardens, but however much any

of us
would like to live in the country, the majority of jobs are in

the
towns, and so most of us live in towns. And towns can so easily

be
walls, roofs, walls and more walls, with no greenery above eye

level.

You are quite right - and town trees should be grown and kept, even

if at
some inconvenience.

Whew! I was beginning to think I was the only one in step ;-)

But I do think evergreens are often particularly hated because

they cut
out the light so completely, and all year round.

Is it perhaps from their use of hedges where they become a rectangle

of
plain green - none of the shape and texture you expect from trees?

then
the rest follows - drastic pruning at one side to leave bare trunks,

use
as a weapon in neighbour wars, so eventually it's impossible to look

at
even a lone conifer with any favour?

I was thinking a nice ornamental crabapple instead might be just

the job ?

Variety is the spice of life. Have you ever looked at a 60's estate

with
what I recall being described on Gardener's Question Time as Prunus
bloody ****ardii in nearly every garden?

Would you say the same about roses?
Franz

Old 12-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article . 10,
Victoria Clare writes

I'll give you ashes though - gorgeous trees that neighbours hate! (just
stop seeing it as a seedling-generator for a moment and look...)

I still hate it! Great, overgrown coarse-looking thing!

Me too..our (absentee) neighbour has several right on the boundary,
seeding like very seedy things, and sending huge greedy roots to raid
the veg garden.

Janet.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article ,

Victoria
Clare writes
Kay Easton wrote in
:

Variety is the spice of life. Have you ever looked at a 60's estate

with
what I recall being described on Gardener's Question Time as Prunus
bloody ****ardii in nearly every garden?

Would you say the same about roses?

What? Variety is the spice of life? Yes.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: