Old 14-05-2004, 03:13 PM
D Russell

Default Musa basjoo - overwintering

wrote in message
Duncan Russell wrote:

I don't think any of the young Musa varieties would survive outside. I

keep
all mine, and they are the hardier Basjoo indoors until they are at least

year old.

As with almost all bananas bordering on being hardy, Musa basjoo is
best brought indoors under cover during its first winter in most
regions. Given appropriate treatment and siting, it should reach 2m.
overall in its second year and at that size, will be tough enough to
withstand average to mild winters in many parts of the UK. It should
be said that all Musas are exceptionally heavy feeders, requiring a
very rich, loose soil that is moisture retentive and yet free
draining. They will just about grow on clay, but only at half the
rate (if that) you would see on lighter soils.

Masses of water are required throughout the growing season, since
those huge leaves transpire heavily and there needs to be an adequate
replacement of water - especially during hot weather. A 2.5m high
Musa basjoo will need at least 2 gallons of water per day if it is to
grow away at its optimum. It will also require additional liquid
feeds - preferably 2 or 3 times per week, but at least on a weekly
basis.

snip
David Poole
TORQUAY UK

He he it always make me laugh when I read the advice on Musa Basjoo, my
largest plant is in an 18" plastic pot, it's octagonal so maybe slightly
more soil than a normal pot !, but it's main stem is at least 8 feet, and
that's before it put's out it's first leaf. Last year I think it attained
the heady height of about 13 foot before I took the leaves off to store it
in the shed at 45 degrees, using those 2litre water spikes to keep it
occasionally moist.

I'd love to plant it out, but can't find anywhere as suitable as it is on
the patio. Where it toatally dominates, not surprisingly, but has to be tied
to a supporting hanging basket bracket. Since it's so easily blown over. It
get's more comments I think than anything else in the garden, I mean it's a
monster plant in a relatively tiny pot.

I'd love to report it as well but think if I did I'd never be able to get it
back in the shed. I already have had to dig an 18inch deep hole to put it in
at 45degrees.

Ho hum I do love it though, and I think this year, due to the encouragement
I got here I really am going to get it to the show, in the "Anything in a
pot" category, just for the amusement value.

he he
Duncan