Old 16-05-2004, 12:11 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Jacarandas in the UK?

During the week we went to the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust place at Barnes
for the look see and whilst there I notices a couple of small trees, about
15ft tall, that had erect racemes of large Penstemen like blue flowers. Now
they looked like Jacaranda to me but I haven't yet had a reply from them
about these trees.
If anyone lives near Barnes and fancies taking a look, they are in the
Americas bit if I remember correctly planted amongst other bushes etc. near
one of the entrances/exits.
It's a rather flat exposed site too.

--
Regards
Bob

Some photos of my plants at.....

Old 16-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Dave Poole

On Sat, 15 May 2004 23:32:58 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

During the week we went to the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust place at Barnes
for the look see and whilst there I notices a couple of small trees, about
15ft tall, that had erect racemes of large Penstemen like blue flowers. Now
they looked like Jacaranda to me but I haven't yet had a reply from them
about these trees.

Bob, they would be Paulownia tormentosa ('Empress tree', 'Princess
tree', or Royal Paulownia) a Chinese native that is very widely grown
in the SE of the US. Paulownia is in the same family as the Jacaranda
(and Penstemon for that matter), but is quite winter hardy whereas
Jacaranda can only tolerate winters in the far South. Flowering can
be a bit if a hit and miss affair since flowers are formed in terminal
buds during autumn. If there is a series of harsh frosts, or even
searing winds during winter, the embryonic flower buds will be damaged
or killed.

The leaves can be massive - up to 80cms. or more across if the plant
is hard pruned. For this reason, those who maintain exotic style
gardens 'stool' their plants and feed heavily to encourage great
platters of foliage on soaring stems to over 8 feet high in a single
season. Left to their own devices, the rounded, rather velvety leaves
are about 25cms. across and the growth is more moderate.

Paulownia relishes summer heat and because its rather soft winter buds
are easily damaged, it is best afforded a sheltered sunny site,
protected from strong winds. Once well established, it can tolerate
quite heavy soils, but the planting site needs to be very well
prepared to give it a good start. On poor thin soils, you need to
incorporate lots of organic material and mulch heavily every year.
Don't skimp on additional watering either, it is a very thirsty tree.

HTH.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November
Drop 's' when mailing
Old 16-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Sacha

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...
During the week we went to the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust place at Barnes
for the look see and whilst there I notices a couple of small trees, about
15ft tall, that had erect racemes of large Penstemen like blue flowers. Now
they looked like Jacaranda to me but I haven't yet had a reply from them
about these trees.
If anyone lives near Barnes and fancies taking a look, they are in the
Americas bit if I remember correctly planted amongst other bushes etc. near
one of the entrances/exits.
It's a rather flat exposed site too.

Could it have been a Paulownia? Ours is in full flower now.
--

Sacha
Old 17-05-2004, 06:15 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dave Poole" wrote in messagein reply to
Bob Hobden

[...]

or killed. (snip)

Thanks Dave and Sacha, I have no doubt you are both correct.The leaves would
have been a giveaway had there been any. Didn't recognise them because I've
only ever seen them coppiced for leaf effect so not seen the flowers before.
The site they are in is flat and open to the Thames so they must therefor
get strong winds and are altogether rather exposed, but then it is in
London.

--
Regards
Bob